Action taken in Superior Court

By Michael Davis

The teenager accused of killing a convenience store clerk appeared in court Monday.

Kelsey Lee Hall, 18, was brought in for his first appearance in the death penalty case against him in which he and Kami Anise Faison, 21, are accused of killing Kangaroo convenience store clerk Michael Patrick Rudy during a robbery in June of this year.

Faison was also named in the district attorney's notice to seek the death penalty, filed Sept. 16, but was not ready for her pre-arraignment hearing due to questions about her attorney's qualifications.

Flint Judicial Circuit Superior Court Judge Hal Craig read instructions to Hall's attorneys, Jeffrey Cofer and James Watkins.

"This is intended to assist you in protecting the defendant's rights," Craig said as he read from the Unified Appeal guidelines.

Craig did not set an arraignment date because Hall's attorneys plan to petition the court for money to hire a private psychiatrist to evaluate his ability to stand trial.

When asked whether he had any objections to the way his attorneys were handling his case, Hall replied, "Not at this time."

Faison's pre-arraignment hearing is not yet scheduled. According to Unified Appeal, attorneys in death penalty cases have to be highly qualified and have been lead counsel on at least one death penalty case before or three non-death penalty cases, one of which must be a murder case.

"The issues with the lawyers must be resolved before the (Faison case) can move forward," said District Attorney Tommy Floyd.

Whitfield's bond revoked

A woman accused of murder appeared in court Monday to face a bond-revocation hearing. Taken into custody last week for allegedly violating the terms of her release, Cathy Michelle Whitfield was told she must now remain in jail while she awaits trial for the slaying death of 36-year-old Thomas Henry Roll of Ellenwood.

While out on bond, Whitfield was ordered to wear an ankle monitor and abide by a curfew set by Sentinel Offender Services by not leaving her parents' house during specified nighttime hours.

Assistant District Attorney Blair Mahaffey cited evidence that on several occasions, Whitfield either left the home during prohibited hours or failed to return by the set curfew.

Taking the stand in Whitfield's defense, her mother Joyce Ledford said that to her knowledge, Whitfield had abided by all conditions of the bond. Except for one instance when she did not come home by curfew, but called to leave a message with Sentinel Offender Services stating that she would be late, Ledford said Whitfield only left the home to smoke on the front or back porches.

"As far as I know, she tried her best to go by the guidelines," her father, Jerry Ledford, testified.