Eagles fall to Falcons

By Doug Gorman

For a time, it looked like Saturday's game between Region 4-AAAA foes Pebblebrook and North Clayton would have to be rescheduled.

A lightening storm, which moved into the area right about the time the two teams were scheduled to kickoff, delayed the contest for nearly 45 minutes.

The delay didn't appear to bother the Falcons who scored on a field goal on their opening possession and never looked back en route to a 10-0 Region 4-AAAA victory.

With the win, Pebblebrook should be able to hold on to their No. 7 ranking in the Class AAAA Associated football poll after staying unbeaten with a 3-0 record overall and a 2-0 mark in league play.

North Clayton is still looking for its first win of the season and drops to 0-3.

The Eagles had trouble getting their offense on track and generated just 98 yards of total offense.

Dominque Randolph carried the bulk of the offensive load for the Eagles finishing with 52 yards on 14 carries.

Freshman quarterback Morgan Burnett struggled early throwing incomplete passes on his first four attempts, but he eventually found the range, passing for 79 yards. His back-to-back completions to Dirk Engram of 16 and 23 yards helped move the Eagles down field late, but North Clayton field to score.

Pebblebrook took a 3-0 lead with 8:29 remaining in the first quarter when Adulmaheed Imbrahim kicked a 24-yard field goal for the first points of the game.

The field goal came on the Falcons' first drive of the contest and capped a 37-yard scoring series.

From there, both offenses stalled. North Clayton's best opportunity to score in the first half came in the form of a gift from Pebblebrook.

Facing fourth down at its own 27, Pebblebrook faked a punt attempt, which fell incomplete, giving the Eagles' their best field possession of the first half.

The Eagles failed to convert on their guests' generosity, gaining just one yard on the drive before turning possession of the football back over to the Falcons.

North Clayton returns home Friday night for a game against Forest Park at Tara Stadium.