Man shot in home invasion

By Ed Brock

A Riverdale man was shot several times in front of his wife during an early morning home invasion.

George Moore, 59, and his wife 56-year-old Esther Moore were in the bedroom of the Echota Way home around 12:25 a.m. Monday, with George Moore taking care of the bills, when two men entered the house, Clayton County Police Capt. Jeff Turner said.

"(Esther Moore) looked up and saw a male subject standing in the doorway holding a gun," Turner said. "She hit the floor and (George Moore) was shot several times."

Moore was hit once in the head and five times in the upper body, Turner said, but he is expected to live.

The Moores' daughter 32-year-old Michelle Little was also in the house in a bedroom next to her parents,' Turner said. She heard a loud male voice demanding money and looked out into the hallway to see the man with the gun, a black male dressed in black overalls and black boots with pantyhose stockings over his face.

She also saw a second man with a light complexion standing at the bottom of the stairs, according to the police report on the shooting. She shut her door and heard several gunshots.

When the gunshots were finished Little left her room and ran out the back door in the direction of the two men. Near the corner of Echota Way and Albania Drive she heard an engine start and saw a dark colored, possibly late 1990s model Chevrolet Caprice parked on Ocee Drive. The car sped away going east on Ocee Drive.

A woman who answered the phone at the Moore's house on Monday morning declined to comment.

According to the report, Esther Moore told police that after her husband was shot he tried to get up as she applied pressure to his wounds, but gradually he became unresponsive.

There was no indication that George Moore, who is listed on the police report as being disabled, had large amounts of cash in the house, Turner said.

Also, there were no signs of forced entry but Esther Moore and Little told investigators that the back door is often left unlocked. It appeared that this was the only way someone could have entered the house, according to the report.

Police are still looking for the two men.