0

Boy who brought bomb to school pleads guilty

By Michael Davis

The 14-year-old accused of making two pipe bombs and bringing them to a private Christian school earlier this month pleaded guilty to two explosives-related charges in Juvenile court Monday.

Juvenile court Judge William Bartles continued a hearing to determine the boy's sentence until Jan. 5, said Flint Circuit District Attorney Tommy Floyd.

The boy was taken into juvenile custody Dec. 9 after police were alerted that there was a bomb at Lake Dow Christian Academy in McDonough. The 138 students at the school were evacuated to a nearby church while authorities searched the area.

One bomb, found in a back pack, was exploded outside the building.

Monday, juvenile prosecutor Mary Evans-Battle said another bomb, hidden above the ceiling tile in the boy's restroom, was never recovered. She said the boy built the bombs from metal pipe and black powder - materials around his Higgins Road home in Locust Grove.

Henry County Public Safety Director Michael Turner said previously that police found two more nearly complete devices at the home.

Evans-Battle said Monday the boy brought the bombs to school Dec. 8 to sell them. The bomb left in the restroom may have remained there over night. "The device in the ceiling was taken by an unknown person and has not been recovered to this day," she said.

Henry County police, in conjunction with several other local, state and federal law enforcement agencies, searched the area in and around the school for most of that day. "We have a feeling it was removed from the premises and either destroyed or thrown away," Turner said. He added that black powder, and other gunpowder that made up the bombs, is extremely volatile and sensitive to shock and static electricity.

After the boy pleaded guilty, his counsel, McDonough attorney Kelley S. Powell, asked that the media be excluded from the hearing to determine the boy's sentence.

Bartles is expected to continue the hearing next month and determine a sentence shortly thereafter. The boy faces up to five years confinement on each charge.