Woman hit in shoot-out with Henry police

By Kathy Jefcoats

McDonough police arrested a woman following a reported shoot-out with her around 10:30 Saturday morning.

Theresa Singletary, 42, was treated for a gunshot wound at Henry Medical Center before being booked into Henry County Jail on aggravated assault charges.

McDonough police Chief Preston Dorsey could not be reached for comment following the incident. However, officers at the scene said Singletary forced her way into a home at 4128 Springvale Lane in the City Square subdivision near the intersection of Ga. Highway 155 and Racetrack Road. McDonough Police Lt. Jeff Floyd said Singletary lives across the street and had made several phone calls to the house at 4128 Springvale and to 911 that morning. Police said they believed Singletary to be suicidal.

During a heated argument, Singletary reportedly came through the front door of the home firing three shots, Floyd said. She briefly held the homeowner at gunpoint and barricaded herself inside.

Police entered the home and found the victim inside holding her dog. They heard shots and believed the shots were directed at them so police pulled out of the home with the victim.

Officers with McDonough and Henry County Bureau of Police Services set up a perimeter around the home. Floyd said Singletary then reportedly tried to leave the home by way of a car in the garage. As she backed out, officers said Singletary fired at them. Two McDonough police officers and one Henry County officer returned fire. Singletary's left arm was grazed by a bullet. She was taken to Henry Medical Center.

No one else was reported hurt during the morning incident.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has been called to investigate, and agents have reportedly interviewed the suspect and victim. The two McDonough officers are no administrative leave with pay, a procedural non-disciplinary action pending the outcome of the case, Floyd said. Information on the Henry County officer involved was not available.

Singletary is charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, and more charges are expected to follow. She is expected to make her first appearance in Henry Magistrate Court Monday morning.

"She wasn't going to give up without a fight," Floyd said. "Luckily no one was hurt. There were so many bullets flying."