Bond lowered in scissors abuse case

By Kathy Jefcoats

A Henry magistrate lowered the bond Friday morning on a Stockbridge mother charged with using hot scissors to cut and burn her son's tongue and neck Aug. 20.

Samantha Davis, 32, of 121 Turning Point Road waived her probable cause hearing Friday morning. She has been held in the Henry County Jail on $100,000 cash or property bond set Aug. 27 by Magistrate Robert Godwin.

Back in court Friday, Magistrate Marty Jones lowered Davis' bond to $50,000 cash or property.

Jail officials said Davis is being held in isolation for her own safety. Other inmates have reportedly made threats at Davis because she is accused of hurting a child.

Her live-in boyfriend, Traci Leshaun Hale, 28, was also arrested Aug. 26, charged with aggravated battery and cruelty to children in the first degree. Henry police Detective Wayne Bender said Hale's 7-year-old son showed signs of being beaten on his buttocks multiple times.

Hale was released from jail Thursday around 4 p.m. when someone from Fulton County posted his $25,000 bond.

Bender told Godwin Aug. 27 that Davis was mad that her 6-year-old son got in trouble for talking in school two days in a row. When he came home Aug. 20, she met him with a pair of scissors she'd heated on a gas stove.

Holding his nose to get him to open his mouth, Davis stuck the scissors to his tongue, burning it, said Bender. The second time, Davis cut off a piece of his tongue, he said. Davis allegedly touched his neck with the still hot scissors, telling him she'd cut out his tongue the next time he got into trouble for talking, said Bender.

After letting him spit out blood in the bathroom sink, Davis called her son back into the kitchen and twice made him stick his fingers to the hot burner, Bender said.

Davis then reportedly told the boy to lie on the couch and she lay on top of him, beating him with a belt and a paddle, said Bender, adding that Davis weighs 260 pounds.

The boy reportedly told police that he is afraid of his mother.

The child saw his father at a football game after the alleged injuries were inflicted and showed him the marks. The father went to the boy's school the following Monday morning to get his son to take him to be examined and to report it to the Henry Department of Family and Children's Services.

However, school officials were already aware of the boy's injuries and were in the process of already reporting them as mandated by law when the father arrived at school.

His father was given custody of him after the arrest. Hale's son is reportedly living with his biological mother.