Valdosta man charged with assaulting police

By Kathy Jefcoats

A Valdosta native remains in the Henry County Jail on $30,000 bond, facing multiple charges of aggravated assault on a police officer, obstruction of an officer, prowling and disorderly conduct, following his arrest Thursday.

Kevin Dewayne Davis, 32, reportedly fought off three McDonough police officers trying to take him into custody after a domestic dispute at a Tussahaw Crossing home in the city. Cpl. Michael Hogeland was forced to draw his weapon on Davis, although no shots were reported fired. However, Davis ran from the scene with several officers in pursuit.

Hogeland and officers Jack Turner and Michael Zebrowski had to use force to gain control of Davis once they caught up with him.

Zebrowski said Davis cursed and kicked officers the entire time they worked to restrain him, screaming profanities and making threats. Officer Marty Brownlee drove his patrol car to the scuffle in order to load Davis and take him to the Henry County Jail.

Once inside the car, Davis reportedly tried four times to bust out a side window with his head. Hogeland got in the back to physically restrain him during the ride to jail. Davis then allegedly spit in the officer's face and threatened, "I will beat your white cracker ass."

Zebrowski said the jail had to be notified to prepare for a "hostile, combative subject prisoner," and have deputies standing by for assistance.

Police encounter with Davis began Wednesday at 10:58 p.m. when officers were called to Tussahaw Crossing in reference to a domestic dispute between Davis and his life-in girlfriend, Cassandra Latrice Gosier.

Gosier told police that the two argued and Davis left the home, taking her car and house keys. She reportedly feared he would return and hurt her. A search of the area failed to turn up Davis and officers left, telling Gosier to call if he returned.

Police were called back out a half-hour later in response to a report that Davis was yelling at Gosier from the road and causing a disturbance. When officers arrived, Davis again fled, running through the backyards of neighbors who called 911 with sighting reports.

A second search also failed to locate Davis and police again left.

At 1:20 a.m., officers returned in response to Davis reportedly causing problems. Zebrowski said he located Davis at the end of Neighborhood Walk, identified himself as an officer and ordered him to stop. Instead, Davis took off running toward Gosier's home, said Zebrowski.

Hogeland eventually caught up with Davis, drawing his service weapon and ordering him to surrender.

Davis was in Henry Magistrate Court Friday morning where a $30,000 bond was set. However, he remained in custody Friday evening.