Arrests made in gang shooting

By Ed Brock

Some of the 18 people indicted in the gang shootout that led to the death of a 4-year-old Riverdale boy have been arrested.

However, the Clayton County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's help in catching those that remain at large.

On Wednesday Clayton County District Attorney Jewel Scott announced the indictments of the individuals she said were somehow involved with the June 6, 2004 shootout in which Travon Wilson was killed. Five of the people indicted were already in Clayton County jail.

They are Deontrez Williams, Christopher Emmanuel, Cori Davis and Xavious Cerdera Taylor who had previously been charged in the case, and Gregory Marquay Sutton who is in jail on another charge.

Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill said members of his fugitive squad and the newly formed Cobra gang and drug enforcement unit went to work looking to find those who were at large. By 4 a.m. Wednesday they had arrested Normiez Norquis Reeves, Brian Taliaferro Smith, Vincent Shernard Wood, all charged with conspiracy to commit felony murder, Hill said.

Jemario Chavez Clayton, charged with aggravated assault, felony murder, conspiracy to commit felony murder and possession of a firearm and Rico Bricent West, charged with tampering with evidence, were also arrested. Hill said the suspects were found at their homes or friends homes around Clayton County and were arrested without custody.

Natasha Davis Anthony and Lawanna Denise Davis, charged with making false statements to police in connection with the investigation, and Achilles Anselmo Bowen also charged with conspiracy, were arrested on Thursday.

The following are still at large.

Mark Wayne Hunter, charged with aggravated assault, felony murder, conspiracy and possession of a firearm.

Julian Jarral Robbs, charged with aggravated assault, felony murder, conspiracy and possession of a firearm.

Brandon Jerard White, charged with conspiracy.

Benjamin Leander Thompson, charged with aggravated assault, felony murder, conspiracy and possession of a firearm.

Also still at large is Terry Tyrone Davis II, identified in previous court hearings as the leader of the Southside Mafia, one of the gangs involved in the shootout.

More than 50 shots were exchanged between the two gangs, and the Clayton County grand jury sent a message that the particular shot that killed Wilson isn't relevant, Clayton County Senior Assistant District Attorney Bonnie Smith said.

"At this point, we know that we have some of the weapons," she said. "We know that we don't have all of the weapons."

On the day of the shooting Williams and Taylor, believed to be members of the Hit Squad, went to meet the leader of the Southside Mafia, members of a multi-agency task force said in previous testimony.

Williams and Taylor were confronted by about 30 Southside Mafia members who were standing near some woods on the edge of the park. A shoot-out erupted between the two sides and the bullet that killed Wilson is believed to have come from a rifle from the direction of the Southside Mafia members.

The charge of felony murder carries a life sentence, while conspiracy to commit felony murder and tampering with evidence carry sentences of one to 10 years.

Hill said anyone who sees the suspects should exercise caution, Hill said.

"We have serious reason to believe that they have access to weapons, that there's some gang activity involved," Hill said.

The sheriff also said the wanted people should turn themselves in.

People with information should call the sheriff's office at (770) 477-4478 or 911.