Henry Co. headed to state

By Anthony Rhoads

MACON--Back to back.

The Henry County Warhawks are going to the state tournament for the second year in a row after beating Warner Robins 74-61 in the first round of the Region 3-AAAA tournament at Westside High School.

Henry County improves to 19-8

"The kids are excited," said Henry County coach Clint Satterfield said. "The first goal was to come here, the second goal was to make state and the next goal was to win the region tournament."

Herman Mains led Henry County with 23, while Darryl Miller 14 and Greg Lindsey with 12.

"It feels great, M ains said. "Our hardwork paid off. We practiced hard as a team, we played hard as a team and we won as a team."

Warner Robins sprinted to a 11-0 lead and led 13-6 at the end of the first quarter. Henry County took a 20-18 lead with about three minutes to go in the second quarter when Miller made a three-point play. Henry County led 29-23 at the half, and 43-41 at the end of the third quarter. Henry County outscored Warner Robins 29-20 in the fourth quarter. Mains and Marvis Duffie paced Henry County's fourth-quarter attack with nine points each.

Three Warner Robins players finished with double figures including Dominque Davenport with 20, Pierre Miller 13 and Alton Sanders with 12.

Northside Warner Robins 60, Stockbridge 49: For the second year in a row the Stockbridge boys basketball team won't be going to state.

A year after getting upset by Morrow in the Region 2-AAAAA tournament, the Tigers fell to Northside 60-49 Wednesday in the Region 3-AAAAA playoffs.

Stockbridge finishes its season with a 22-5 record.

"That's what everybody plays for," said Stockbridge head coach Mark Andrews. "It's real disappointing, but the sun's going to shine in the morning. It's very disappointing to win 22 games and not be going to state. I'm disappointed for our four seniors because they won't have this chance again."

Stockbridge was out of sync from the start. Northside jumped to a 14-5 lead in the first quarter, and led 18-10 going into the second.

Stockbridge managed to get within four, when Markel Humphrey made a basket to cut the Northside lead to 26-22 halfway through the second quarter. Northside led 30-22 at the half.