Man indicted on allegations of child molestation

By Daniel Silliman


A Clayton County grand jury has indicted a 32-year-old Forest Park man on charges of child molestation, enticing a child to have sex and false imprisonment.

Deonte Lamar Burton allegedly sucked the toes of a 13-year-old girl, according to the indictment, which was passed down Wednesday.

An arrest warrant describes the "immoral act" as happening to the 13-year-old "without her consent and to her surprise."

Burton, who does not appear to be related to the unnamed juvenile, allegedly told the girl she had "pretty feet" before grabbing one and putting it in his mouth.

He is currently out of jail on a $20,000 bond and faces a possible prison sentence of more than 20 years.

Carjacking foiled by bad driving

A carjacking ended when the armed, would-be thieves crashed the stolen car into the apartment complex's block of mailboxes.

According to a Clayton County Police report, Patricia Gates parked her burgundy, 2002 Nissan Sentra at Harbour Towne Apartments, 5420 Riverdale Road, in College Park. When she got out of the car, she saw two men, wearing black and carrying pistols, get out of a white, Ford Crown Victoria, and come at her.

One of them pointed a gun in her face and said, "Give it up [expletive]," according to the police report.

Gates dropped her car keys and ran away. She told the county police she heard two shots, behind her, and told her daughter, Ashley Slayton, to call 911.

One of them got into her Nissan, sped around the building. Gates said she saw the vehicle speeding out of the lot, but then the driver lost control and crashed the 2002 Sentra into the mailboxes. The would-be carjacker then got out of the car and ran away.

According to the police report, a black handgun was found on the floor of the car, apparently left there by the armed man. The gun and the vehicle were being processed for fingerprints, and multiple witnesses, who saw the incident, said they may be able to identify suspects.

Fleeing man caught after an hour in woods

Clayton County Sheriff's deputies, K-9 units, Clayton County Police Officers and the police department's helicopter attempted to catch a man who fled on Tuesday.

Wendell Hannibal, driving a black Chevy Impala, reportedly refused to stop his car for deputies, on Ga. Highway 54, and instead sped down the street. Crashing the vehicle at the intersection of 54 and Ga. Highway 3, Hannibal bailed out and ran into the nearby woods, according to police reports.

The man was wearing a red T-shirt and blue jeans, but, after being chased by deputies and dogs for more than an hour, was see running shirtless toward an abandoned former Save Rite store.

Officer Matthew Simond reported he helped the deputies maintaining the perimeter, near Wynn Dixie Drive, and intercepted Hannibal as he came out of the woods, ordering him to get on the ground.

"Mr. Hannibal failed to comply with my verbal commands to get on the ground," Simond wrote in his report. "However, he placed his hands above his head."

Hannibal was arrested on multiple charges relating to attempting to elude police, fleeing and the possession of marijuana.