By Brian Paglia
Here's an update on local baseball products from the Southern Crescent toiling - or thriving - in the minor leagues or in the big league stadiums of Major League Baseball:
· Isaiah Froneburgur - The Colorado Rockies' 2007 fourth round pick and former Forest Park High School standout is pitching with the Casper Ghosts of the Pioneer League, the Rockies' Rookie League affiliate. Froneburgur, a left-handed relief pitcher, has appeared in 10 games and compiled a 5.06 ERA in 10 2/3 innings of work. He's allowed 12 hits and walked nine, but has 21 strikeouts.
· Scott Robinson - Picked by the Rockies in the 2006 draft in the 30th-round (888th overall). Robinson is an outfielder with the Rockies' Class A short-season team, the Tri-City Dust Devils of the Northwest League. The Henry County High School product is hitting .286 with two home runs, 11 RBIs and a .375 on-base percentage through 23 games. Robinson has been picking up his hitting lately, currently on a seven-game hitting streak during which he's hitting .357 (10-for-28).
· Jason Perry - The well-traveled Perry returned to the Richmond Braves, Atlanta's Class AAA affiliate, on Friday, July 18, after filling in for the slumping Jeff Francoeur, who the Braves recalled after a brief demotion to Class AA Mississippi. The Braves were hoping Perry could provide a power bat in the outfield, something the team has been desperate for this season, but Perry hit only .117 (2-for-17) in his brief stint in the Majors. Perry is hitting .295 with five home runs and 14 RBIs in 33 games with Richmond.
· Michael Rozier - Once a coveted prospect out of Henry County, Rozier is struggling with the Class A Greenville Drive of the South Atlantic League in the Boston Red Sox organization. The right-handed pitcher threw a scoreless inning on Sunday, but in three appearances with the Drive has a 37.80 ERA. Opponents are batting .455 against Rozier.
· Jason Heyward - The Braves prized prospect from the 2007 draft, the 14th overall pick, has hit a skid lately with the Braves' Class A Rome Braves of the South Atlantic League. Heyward, another Henry County graduate, is hitting .222 in his last 10 games with only one RBI. But Heyward still leads the Braves and is fourth in the South Atlantic League with a .325 average, including eight home runs and 44 RBIs.
· Matt Murton - The former Eagle's Landing product is still finding it tough to prove his worth after being included in a trade by the Chicago Cubs to the Oakland Athletics for pitcher Rich Harden. Filling in for injured outfielder Ryan Sweeney, Murton has hit only .150 in six games with the Athletics.
· Kyle Davies - The former Braves prospect and Stockbridge graduate is set to pitch tonight against the Detroit Tigers. Davies is 3-1 in nine starts with a 4.59 ERA.