Man allegedly cited 'hard times' during hold-up

By Daniel Silliman


Three men reportedly robbed a Rex Rite-Aid, taking more than $2,000 in cash and $71 worth of Swisher Sweets cigars.

One of the men, allegedly pointing a gun at a woman who was talking on a cell phone, reportedly said, "It's hard times: Just need pampers and money for my kids," according to the Clayton County Police report.

The 6456 Highway 42 armed robbery occurred at about 9:50 p.m., Saturday. Three men with guns entered the drug store, took about $175 from the cash register and ordered the manager to open the safe. The trio, two with black handguns and one with a silver-colored gun, reportedly took about $2,000 from the store safe.

The armed robbers were described by witnesses: Two were black males and one was a Hispanic male, and all three of them had white T-shirts tied over their faces.

The police expected to retrieve video surveillance footage of the robbery.

Anyone with information about the heist is asked to call the police department's tip line at (770) 473-5400.

Two fight with steak knives, BB gun

Two Riverdale men got into a fight over a car battery, according to Clayton County Police.

At about 5:30 p.m., Sunday, 21-year-old Tony Ladson reportedly asked his uncle, 58-year-old Gregory Corahn Ladson if he could use his car battery to start a car, and then allegedly exploded in anger when the older Ladson said, "no."

Tony Ladson allegedly shouted racial and sexual profanities at the older man, who is on dialysis, and then punched him in the face, according to the police report.

Gregory Ladson told police he "punched Tony back," and said the fight then escalated: "Tony had two knives and he [Gregory] had one knife," according to the report filed by Officer J. M. Davis.

A witness who lives in the 6345 Thornhedge Drive home, with the two Ladsons, said the men were wielding steak knives.

Tony Ladson allegedly charged, and Gregory Ladson stabbed his nephew in the shoulder. Tony Ladson left the room, his shoulder cut, according to Gregory Ladson, and then came back with a "silver and black handgun." Police officers retrieved the gun, finding it to be a .177-caliber, BB pellet gun.

Tony Ladson left the house, breaking a flower pot and pictures that hung on a wall in the hall.

He is wanted on charges of aggravated assault, battery and criminal trespass, according to police.