18-year-old charged in pool hall killing

By Daniel Silliman


Wanted in connection with a pool hall killing, police looked for Alex Daniel Funes for a little more than a week, before catching him -- in another pool hall.

The 18-year-old was arrested on charges of murder and aggravated assault, in connection with a fatal fight at Corona Billiards and Restaurant, said Clayton County Police Lt. Rebecca Brown.

The fight allegedly started near the pool table, inside the 6640 Tara Boulevard establishment, on Friday, Nov. 14. Funes, a five-foot-10, 140-pounder, also known as "Smokey," allegedly ended a fight with a gun in the parking lot, according to police.

In the parking lot, at about 8:15 p.m., the 18-year-old allegedly pulled a gun out of his waist band, put it to the back of 20-year-old Daniel Garcia's head, and fired, according to a warrant application filed by Detective Christopher Helton.

According to the detective, the fight started inside as a "verbal altercation." A friend of Funes, Joncarlo Irarra, started an argument with Garcia and Eduardo Vargas, the detective wrote.

Funes reportedly didn't like something Vargas said, and he hit him in the face with a wooden pool cue, leaving a gash, police say.

The four involved in the fight then went outside Corona's, and Funes allegedly pulled a gun. Garcia, of Forest Park, died from the head wound.

Funes fled the scene in a tan, four-door vehicle, but, police said, witnesses saw him leave. According to police, "an anonymous witness positively identified the suspect from photo line-ups."

Jail records show Funes is covered in tattoos. One, on his neck and possibly visible in a mug shot, reads "PVP," which is slang that video game players use, meaning "Player vs. Player." Funes also has "Mary" tattooed on his chest, the numbers 4, 6, and 5 on his arms, and a tear drop beneath one eye, records show.

Police pegged Funes as their suspect in the Garcia killing by Nov. 19, releasing a "Be On the Look Out" notice calling Funes "a known gang member," who "is armed and dangerous." Police arrested him in DeKalb County on Nov. 22.

Irarra has not been charged with anything, at this point. Funes faces the possible maximum sentence of life in prison.

His next court date has not yet been scheduled.