Man accused of kidnapping, killing ex-girlfriend

By Linda Looney-Bond


A Riverdale woman died Monday morning after her ex-boyfriend allegedly kidnapped her at gunpoint, forced her to lead police on a multi-county chase, then allegedly shot her in the head when the chase ended in Atlanta.

The 20-year-old victim was identified as Shyreia Lane, according to Atlanta Police spokesperson, Sgt. Lisa Keyes.

The incident began Sunday night, just before 10:30 p.m., when Clayton County Police responded to a report of a person shot at Lane's home, at 773 Fieldstone Drive in Riverdale, according to Officer Kevin Hughes, a Clayton County Police Department spokesperson.

When police arrived on the scene, they discovered that Lane's ex-boyfriend, Detrick Deshone Corbett, 29, had allegedly shot an adult male in the buttocks at the house, taken the keys to a Kia vehicle at the home, and then taken Lane hostage, according to Hughes.

The male shooting victim, whose name was not immediately released, was transported to Southern Regional Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, Hughes said.

Police issued a lookout for the vehicle and spotted it traveling northbound on Tara Boulevard, near Mt. Zion Road. "Officers attempted to conduct a traffic stop, but the driver refused to stop, and a pursuit ensued," Hughes said.

The pursuit began on Old Dixie Highway in Clayton County, turned onto Interstate 75 southbound into Henry County, to exit 216, then back onto I-75 northbound to I-675, Hughes said in a statement. He said Corbett fired several times at the pursuing officers when the chase began, but none of the officers was injured.

The chase continued on I-285 westbound at Moreland Avenue, back into Clayton County, and down several side streets, police said. The pursuit ended in Fulton County, when the car got stuck in the mud of the parking lot of the Atlanta Exposition Center, located at 2314 Jonesboro Road, in Atlanta, Hughes said in a statement.

"The offender then shot the victim once in the head," Hughes said. He said Corbett then surrendered to police, and was taken into custody by Atlanta authorities.

Lane was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, where she was pronounced brain dead, Hughes said. She was later pronounced dead, according to Keyes.

Lane had recently ended a relationship with Corbett, according to Hughes.

"He's [Corbett] going to have to come back here [Clayton County] to face charges, but right now, because the most severe charges are in Atlanta, they'll have to deal with those first," said Hughes.

"We'll [Clayton County] have an array of charges ranging from aggravated assault to kidnapping and some family violence charges as well, because of the relationship between the two," Hughes said in an interview. "Right now we have several counts of aggravated assault because he also shot at our officers, as well, at the beginning of the pursuit."