Friday, October 23, 2009
© Copyright 2014
Clayton News Daily
Fifteen people were forced from their homes in Forest Park, when a building in the Waldorf Creek Apartments caught fire early Wednesday morning, a fire official said.
The fire broke out in the two-story, 12-unit building, at 4663 Waldrop Drive, around 5 a.m., according to Forest Park Fire Chief Eddie Buckholts. He said most of the residents had evacuated the building by the time firefighters arrived. No injuries to residents or firefighters were reported, Buckholts said, but one resident was transported to an area hospital for a condition not related to the fire.
According to Buckholts, the fire appeared to have originated on the lower floor and spread to a common attic, which sustained some smoke damage. He said the fire was mostly contained to four of the units in the building.
"Due to the electricity having to be cut to the whole building, we ended up with 15 residents displaced," Buckholts said. The Red Cross was assisting those displaced residents, he said.
Buckholts said about 30 firefighters fought the blaze, including some from Fort Gillem and the City of Morrow.
While the cause of the fire had not yet been officially determined, Buckholts said investigators are looking at whether a space heater may have been placed too close to something flammable.
"We certainly want to remind people, that with the cold weather that's coming in, to keep space heaters away from combustibles at least 36 inches," Buckholts said.
- From Staff Reports