Smoke empties one floor of courthouse

Smoke from a faulty piece of equipment led to a three-hour evacuation of one floor of the Harold R. Banke Justice Center on Monday, according to Sgt. Sonja Sanchez, spokesperson for the Clayton County Sheriff's Office.

"One of the blowers in our mechanical room overheated, and it caused smoke that leaked," said Sanchez. "The smoke went through the vents on the fourth floor."

Clayton County Superior Court courtrooms are located on the fourth floor of the Justice Center. The district attorney's offices are also located on the fourth floor.

The incident occurred around 10:30 a.m., Monday, and ended around 1:30 p.m., Sanchez said.

No injuries were reported, according to Sanchez. She said the faulty piece of equipment had been repaired by Monday afternoon.

- Linda Looney-Bond