College Park murder suspect denied bond

By Curt Yeomans


A 30-year-old man accused of killing a 17-year-old, while the youth was walking with relatives to a neighborhood pool in College Park last month, will have to wait a few more weeks to see whether he'll be granted a bond in the case.

Clayton County Magistrate Court Judge Richard Brown denied bond to Tyrone "T-Rex" Terek Patterson on charges of aggravated assault and murder, on Monday. The charges stem from the shooting death of Darnell Fields, on July 22. A bond order in the case cites Georgia Code 17-6-1, and states that bond was denied.

That code section says that certain crimes, including murder, treason, rape, aircraft or motor vehicle hijacking, aggravated sodomy, aggravated child molestation, armed robbery, manufacturing or distributing controlled substances, or aggravated sexual battery, or even aggravated assault (when one of the other crimes has been committed), are "bailable only before a judge of the superior court."

A bond hearing has been set for Patterson, on Sept. 3, at 8 a.m., at the Harold R. Banke Justice Center, in Jonesboro. He also has a preliminary hearing scheduled to take place before that, on Aug. 31.

Patterson -- whose nicknames, other than "T-Rex," include, "T" and "Jersey" -- allegedly shot Fields in the chest, causing the youth's death, after a verbal exchange of "What's up?" with Fields' cousin, Caponetti Faulkner. Fields, Faulkner and Fields' aunt, Cande Hope, were walking along a wooded path off Faith Cove, in College Park, when the exchange, and shooting occurred.

Hope was struck in the left calf, and received medical treatment at Grady Memorial Hospital. Faulkner was unharmed, according to Clayton County police. Police said they found several spent .45 caliber shell casings on the ground, outside Patterson's home, after the shooting.

Witnesses told police the shooting was provoked by someone stealing a handgun from Patterson "probably two, or three weeks" before the shooting. After the shooting occurred, Patterson disappeared, and Clayton County Police warned residents to be on the look out for him, and to consider him armed and dangerous.

Patterson was eventually captured by New Castle County (Del.) police officers, in a Wilmington, Del., apartment complex, on Aug. 3, after authorities received a telephone call about a "suspicious person" being in the complex.