CSU operations normal after bomb threat

By Mehgaan Jones


A lock-down at Clayton State University -- instituted because of a telephoned bomb threat earlier in the day -- was lifted by early evening, and operations at the Morrow school returned to normal, according to university officials.

John Shiffert, a university spokesman, said no signs of any suspicious packages or items were found, in a thorough search.

He said the building-to-building search was conducted by on-campus public safety officers and local law enforcement agencies, and was successfully concluded shortly before 5 p.m.

Shiffert explained that right after 1 p.m., someone called the City of Morrow's 911 center, and simply said: "There is a bomb at Clayton State University."

As a result, the school was locked down, Shiffert said, and anyone wanting to leave the campus could leave through the main gate only, onto Clayton State Boulevard, but no one was allowed to enter the campus, until authorities were convinced there was no danger.

"No specific buildings, or locations, or reasons, were mentioned in the call to the Morrow 911 center," said Shiffert.

"I have been here for two-and-a-half years, and we had never received a bomb threat," said Clayton State University's Chief of Police Bobby Hamil. He added that there is a possible suspect, or person of interest, but said he is not at liberty to release information about the person, even whether, or not, the person is a CSU student.

Hamil said he is still unsure why the individual might have made the phone call.

According to Hamil, Clayton State's Office of Public Safety received assistance from several local agencies -- particularly with explosives-detection devices, or bomb-sniffing canines -- including the Clayton County Police Department, the Atlanta Police Department and CSX Railroad.

Hamil added that additional assistance and resources in the campus-wide search, were provided by the Morrow, Forest Park, and the Lake City police departments.

"Everyone worked together very well," said Shiffert, who added that evening and night classes resumed, at their normal times.