0

Man saves three children in house fire

The Henry County Fire Department has recognized Gottlieb Goddard, as a shining example of someone who has taken fire and life safety education seriously.

The McDonough man was recognized for saving three toddlers from their burning home. He is an uncle of the three children he saved, fire officials said.

The fire occurred Dec. 13, just after 2 p.m., at 1416 Schley Place, according Fire Capt. Sabrina Puckett. She said the fire "could have easily turned out fatal," if not for a "quick-thinking occupant," Gottlieb.

"On arrival, firefighters were informed there was a fire in an upstairs bedroom," Puckett said. "Fortunately, all residents were out of the home. "Three children, under the age of three, were rescued Mr. Gottlieb Goddard, a resident of the home, and uncle to the children.

"Once alerted to the fact that there was a fire, Mr. Goddard went into the fire room where the three small children were, and brought them out to safety," Puckett said. "The structure did sustain extensive smoke damage.

"[The] Henry County Fire Department is very grateful for Gottlieb's actions, and hopes that fire and life safety education will continue to impress upon children, and adults, alike to take fire safety seriously," the captain continued. "Gottlieb ultimately saved the lives of three helpless children."

"The mother, and all three children, were transported to an area hospital for evaluation, and treatment of possible smoke inhalation."

Firefighters extinguished the accidental fire quickly, confining fire damage to the room of origin, said the captain.

— Jason A. Smith