Man accused of stealing hospitalized neighbor's TV

By Curt Yeomans


A Jonesboro man was sitting in the Clayton County jail, on Wednesday evening, facing accusations of stealing a neighbor's nearly $2,000 television -- while she was in a hospital.

According to online court records, a Clayton County Magistrate Court Judge set bond, Wednesday, at $35,000 for 20-year-old Duaneyae Philip A. Gibson, who is facing a burglary charge in connection with the theft. Gibson allegedly participated in the burglary of the home that belonged to 21-year-old Logan Wilson, on Tuesday.

Wilson is recovering from multiple gunshot wounds she received during a shooting at her birthday, and house warming, party more than two weeks ago.

She was shot in the face, shoulder and leg, while she danced on a car in front of her home during her birthday party, on July 11. Clayton County Police spokesperson, Lt. Tina Daniel, said Wilson was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital after the shooting, and is still hospitalized.

Daniel said Gibson lived "a door or two" away from Wilson on Maggie Lane, in Jonesboro.

"He knew she was not there, and he went into her home and took the television, anyway," Daniel said. "It says a lot about the young man, for someone to [allegedly] steal something from a person who is in the hospital after they've been shot. It just makes them a victim for a second time."

Daniel said police are still searching for another person of interest in connection with the burglary, 19-year-old Travis Coleman. Coleman has not been charged with any crimes related to the theft, but Daniel said police would like to speak with him about the burglary.

Daniel said police were notified that someone was breaking into Wilson's home at 2:15 p.m., on Tuesday. In a warrantless arrest affidavit for Gibson, Clayton County Police Officer Ben Henderson wrote that another one of Wilson's neighbors called 9-1-1 and reported seeing two men kicking the back door of Wilson's home.

According to the affidavit, the stolen TV was a 37-inch, Toshiba television set, worth $1,897. Daniel said the television was hanging on the wall in Wilson's living room.

Henderson also wrote, in his affidavit, that the witness told police the two men also went into another home on the street, which Daniel said was the home where Gibson lived with his mother. According to Henderson's affidavit, Gibson's mother gave police permission to search the house.

"During a safety sweep of [Gibson's home], I observed the stolen TV in plain sight in the offender's [Gibson's] bedroom closet," Henderson wrote in the affidavit.

Daniel said Gibson was not home when officers searched his home. The police spokesperson added, however, that after the TV was found in his closet, "his mother called him and told him he needed to come home right away, and he, of course, came home, and he was arrested."

Daniel said Gibson was arrested at 3:30 p.m., just over an hour after police were called about the burglary. Henderson wrote in the affidavit that Gibson told officers that Coleman allegedly committed the burglary, and that he aided Coleman by driving him away from the scene of the crime.

Online court records show Gibson is scheduled to appear in Clayton County Magistrate Court, on Aug. 5, at 3 p.m., for a preliminary hearing. Daniel said Gibson does have an existing criminal record in Clayton County. The online court records show Gibson pled nolo contendere, in March 2009, in Clayton County State Court, to shoplifting and false reporting of a crime.

"He's not a stranger to the court system," Daniel said.

As far as Wilson's July 11 shooting is concerned, Daniel said police do not yet have anybody in custody, but "We're still working leads on that." According to the police report for the shooting, several witnesses told police, at the time, that the alleged, male shooter was involved in an altercation with Wilson a week before the shooting.

At the time of the shooting, another Clayton County Police spokesman, Officer Otis Willis, III, said a recently evicted roommate had been making "idle threats" via text messages before the shooting took place.