The day I found out - Jason Smith

It started out like any other day. A couple of weeks ago, I went to work, made some phone calls and started working on stories, having no idea what was in store for me.

After I had only been at work a couple of hours, I wasn't feeling too well, so I informed my editor I would need to go home early. I was already working on a couple of stories, and I didn't want to leave my co-workers with more work to do, so I finished my writing around 4 p.m., and headed home.

When I talked to my wife, she seemed to be in a good mood, but I thought that was just because she'd see me earlier than usual on a work day. A few minutes after she got home from her job, she sat down next to me and put her head in my lap.

She then informed me she was having a baby -- our first child.

I was in shock. We weren't even sure we could have kids. That's one of the reasons we had been talking so much about adopting.

I had been waiting for that moment in my living room, on some level, my entire adult life. Now that it was here, I could barely breathe.

I kept asking her if she was kidding me, to which she responded that was not something she would joke about. It was the happiest I have been in a long time.

I spent the next few minutes in a delightful daze. The next step, of course, was determining who we would tell, and when we would tell them.

We waited a couple of days, which was positively agonizing for me, since I make my living telling important news to readers of the paper on a daily basis.

My wife then called her father, who lives out of state, and then told her mom. We drove to my sister's house, because my mother was visiting her, and got to tell both of them at the same time.

It didn't hurt that we were telling my mom our news on her birthday.

Next, we followed my mom to her house, so we could tell my dad. Of course, I had to wait until my brother and his wife returned home from out of town to tell them, because I couldn't get in touch with them. But, when we did tell them, seeing the expressions on their faces was well-worth the wait.

Ever since the day I found out, everything around me is different from what it used to be.

Songs sound different on the radio. The sky appears a bit more blue than before, and I have had a perpetual grin on my face for the last few weeks.

When my wife and I had nursery duty at our church on Sunday, I found myself on the floor, playing with the one- and two-year-olds more than ever. I'm also driving more carefully than ever, because I realize I have another tiny, little person who will be depending on me very soon.

I know the next several months will be different from anything I've ever experienced, and that life as I once knew it is over. But, I am in awe of the fact that I get to have a child of my own, and I consider myself blessed beyond anything I ever thought possible.

Yes, the day I found out started out like any other day. But in reality, it was one of the biggest and best days of my life, and I give God all the praise and glory for it.

Jason A. Smith covers crime and courts for the Henry Daily Herald. He can be reached via e-mail at jsmith@henryherald.com.