Police investigating Forest Park shooting

By Curt Yeomans


Detectives from the Forest Park Police Department were still working, on Monday, to sort out what led to the shooting death of a 23-year-old Forest Park man over the weekend, according to a spokesman for the police department.

Gregory Dustin Bailey died at Southern Regional Medical Center early Saturday morning, as a result of the shooting, police said. He was shot just after midnight, outside a residence on North Avenue, in Forest Park, according to a written statement issued by the police department on Saturday.

As of Monday afternoon, detectives working the case still did not have a description of the person suspected of shooting Bailey, according to Forest Park Police Maj. Chris Matson.

"They are still sorting out interviews from people that saw something, or may know something, and they are going over every bit of evidence," Matson said. "There are still a lot of aspects that we're trying to sort out."

Bailey's family will hold a memorial service in his honor at First Baptist Church of Jonesboro, at 147 Church Street, in Jonesboro, tonight, beginning at 7 p.m. Bailey, a graduate of Forest Park High School, leaves behind a 3-year-old son, Rashad Dustin Bailey, according to an obituary.

Citing the ongoing investigation, Matson declined to release additional details on the case on Monday, but said it is being treated as a homicide.

The only details police are releasing at this time, he said, are those outlined in the police department's written statement Saturday. According to the release, the Forest Park 911 center received "several" calls, at approximately 12:17 a.m., from people saying they heard gunshots in the area where Burks Road ends at North Avenue.

Forest Park resident, Linda Johnson, the homeowner at whose house the shooting took place, said she did not personally know Gregory Dustin Bailey, but her son, Nicholes did. She said he had not been visiting her son that night, however, and that she did not know why he was outside her home.

Johnson said she was in a back room of her home when the shooting occurred.

Johnson said her initial thought was that her son, who had left a few minutes earlier, had come home and been shot. She said her first call was to the police, to let them know there had been a shooting, and then she called her son, to make sure he was OK.

The homeowner added she did not go to her door or windows initially, out of fear. "You don't go outside when there's just been a shooting," she said. "I just knew it wasn't right, though."

Johnson said she finally came out of her home, and Gregory Dustin Bailey was laying in the street.

While the 23-year-old was transported to Southern Regional, officers investigating the crime scene determined the shooting was the result of an argument, although it is not clear who was involved in the argument. "This investigation is in its infancy, but preliminary reports indicate that this incident was the result of some type of verbal dispute," the police department's statement said.

On Monday, Matson said it is not yet clear what the argument was about. Johnson said she could not hear any arguing from where she was in her home.

Matson said anyone who may have information about the shooting should call the Forest Park Police Department at (404) 366-4141.