Two arrested in connection with stabbing

Photo by Rebecca Long

Photo by Rebecca Long

By Stewart Voegtlin


Jamison Devon Denson, Jr., 19, and Shanikos Denson, 36, were arrested last Friday afternoon in connection with the April 10 stabbing of 28-year-old Joe Holder.

Both were charged with burglary, aggravated assault, aggravated battery and criminal attempt to commit murder. Both suspects were denied bond at a first appearance hearing.

BCSO Lt. Tim Filbeck told the Progress-Argus Holder was stabbed by Jamison Denson, Shanikos Denson and a third person. Filbeck said complaints would be filed against two juveniles.

According to Sheriff Gene Pope, Jackson Police Officer David Esterly responded to a criminal damage to property call at 825 North Oak Street on the night of April 10. Shanikos Denson told police Joe Holder allegedly kicked her door open, which caused damage to her residence. Holder fled the scene before Esterly arrived.

Holder and Denson have a four-year-old daughter.

Shanikos Denson's nephew, Jamison Denson, allegedly went to Holder's 266 Valley Road residence and produced a knife when he encountered Holder. Holder allegedly produced a gun and Denson fled. Shanikos Denson reported the incident to JPD, and David Esterly was again asked to respond.

Filbeck told the Progress-Argus while Esterly was en route to Denson's North Oak Street home, six of Denson's family members were on their way to Holder's residence and once there went into the home and confronted him.

JPD officers were then dispatched to 266 Valley Road for a shots fired call.

Sheriff Pope said BCSO deputies were called to assist JPD because a crowd had gathered at Holder's address.

"There was lots of yelling and screaming coming from [Holder's residence] so people started gathering and the gun shot drew an even bigger crowd," Filbeck said.

Filbeck said between 75 and 100 people gathered outside of Holder's residence.

Holder suffered numerous stab wounds in the fracas, and 52-year-old Willene Denson, the mother of Shanikos Denson, was shot dead.

BCSO Investigative Division was called. Four investigators responded to the Valley Road scene; one responded to Sylvan Grove Hospital where Coroner Ralph Wilson pronounced Willene Denson deceased from a single gunshot wound. One investigator responded to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta where Holder was life-flighted.

Filbeck said Holder had stab wounds on his arms, back, and chest, suffered a collapsed lung, and spent two weeks in Grady Hospital's Intensive Care Unit.

Holder is now back at work.

Filbeck said the Sheriff's Office determined Joe Holder's mother, Patricia Holder, shot and killed Willene Denson. No charges were filed against Patricia Holder.

"[Holder] didn't specifically point the gun and blatantly shoot at [Willene Denson]," Filbeck said. "She and her son were hemmed up in a room and Joe was squatting on the floor. A juvenile hit Holder with a chair and he was stabbed several times."

Filbeck said Holder's mother saw this happening, picked up the gun and fired.

"She was well within her legal right to exercise deadly force," Filbeck said.

Both Jamison and Shanikos Denson were denied bond at their first appearance hearing and remain in the Butts County Jail.