Ola stopped in OT by Northgate

By Stuart Crosby

Speical to the Daily

The Northgate Vikings came back from a 10-0 deficit and eventually denied the Ola Mustangs a chance at victory Friday night when they stopped a two-point conversion attempt in overtime to escape with a 27-26 win at Henry Seldon Field.

The game was tied at 20-20 when the two teams went into overtime and the Vikings offense getting a chance to start the extra session.

Beginning from the Mustangs' 15, the Vikings needed five plays to score as Payton Usher scored on a three-yard run and Will Lutz converted the extra point that gave Northgate a 27-20 lead.

Ola took over at the Vikings 15 yard line and Tre McBride had three carries to the one and Victor Griffin finished the drive by plowing through the Vikings' defense for the touchdown.

The Mustangs lined up to try the extra point, but quarterback Nick Gandee wound up attempting a short pass to McBride who tried to get through a host of Viking defenders only to be turned away by a few inches and the game was over.

"When I took this job I told the kids that no matter how much we won game by, we would enjoy it," commented Northgate head coach Tommy Walburn. "I was proud of the kids for the way they came back and now we get ready for region."

A 69-yard run by McBride from the Mustangs 14 to the Vikings 15 but the drive stalled and they had to settle for a 31-yard field goal from Jacob Law with 9:36 remaining in the first quarter.

On the ensuing kickoff, Isiah Riddle returned he ball 30 yards before the ball was knocked loose and the Mustangs recovered at the Vikings 42 and picked up an additional 15 yards after a Northgate penalty.

Ola took advantage of the two miscues as they scored on the first play from scrimmage as quarterback hit Tre McBride with a 28-yard touchdown pass to take a 10-0 lead after the extra point attempt was successful with 9:15 remaining.

However, Northgate responded when Payton Usher returned the ensuing kickoff 85 yards for a touchdown and after the extra point by Will Lutz, the Vikings trailed 10-7.

The Vikings took the lead in the second quarter when they went on a six-play, 53-yard drive highlighted by a 22-yard run by Usher and a 29-yard run by Lakes that accounted for a touchdown run with 7:13 remaining to give the Vikings a 14-10 lead after Lutz converted the extra point.

On the ensuing series, the Mustangs started on their own 24 yard line and threatened to regain the lead as they reached the Vikings 23 with less than two minutes remaining but Ryan Arnold fumbled a yard from a touchdown and the ball bounced into the end zone where a Viking defender fell on it for a touchback.

In the third quarter, the Vikings moved in to Mustangs territory when quarterback Bret Misutka took a keeeper to the Mustangs 32 where he fumbled and the ball bounced to an Ola defender at the 28.

McBride made the Vikings pay for the turnover as the running back had a 25-yard reception and a 39-yard touchdown run gave the Mustangs a 1-14 lead with 2:38 remaining in the quarter.

On the ensuing series the Vikings went on an eight-play series beginning at their own 46 and moved to the Mustangs 11 where the drive stalled and Lutz had to try a 28-yard field goal.

The attempt was successful and the game was tied at 17-17 with 9:50 remaining in regulation.

After each team exchanged their ensuing possessions on turnovers, the Mustangs would reclaim the lead as they went on a 11-play, 61-yard drive that ended when Law converted a 28-yard field goal with 2:10 remaining in regulation.

Refusing to give up, the Vikings came back on the ensuing series as they began at their own 44 and reached the Mustangs 18 when Lutz converted a 35-yard field goal with 36 seconds remaining in regulation to tie the game at 20-20.

The Mustangs would take the ensuing possession at their own 31 with 30 seconds remaining where they elected to run the clock out and go into overtime.