Photo by Heather Middleton
From Staff Reports
The Clayton State Laker women's tennis team faced a tremendous challenge in the Peach Belt Conference Tournament semifinals on Saturday against defending NCAA Division II National Champion Armstrong Atlantic. In turn, the top-ranked Lady Pirates had too much firepower as they downed No. 12 Clayton State 5-0 at the Newman Tennis Center.
Clayton State drops to 14-7 overall with the defeat. But the Lakers are almost assured of an at-large berth in the upcoming NCAA Division II National Tournament. Armstrong Atlantic improves to 23-2, and the Lady Pirates will face Columbus State in Sunday's Peach Belt Conference Tournament championship.
The Lakers dropped all three doubles matches and two in singles.
Viktoriya Semyrodenko and Ivana Krommelova dropped an 8-2 decision against Armstrong Atlantic's Alida Muller-Wehlau and Barbora Krtickova in a match-up of two Top 10-ranked doubles teams in the nation at No. 1. At No. 2, the Lakers' Katie White and Marie Cercelletti fell 8-4 against Kathleen Henry and Tina Ronel from Armstrong
Atlantic, while Martina Dedaj and Jessica Budd dropped an 8-1 decision against the Lady Pirates' Jessica Gardefjord and Aleksndra Filipovski.
In singles, White fell 6-1, 6-0 against Krtickova at No. 2, and Charlotte Fabricius dropped a 6-2, 6-0 decision against Joanna Szymczyk from Armstrong Atlantic at No. 6.
ARMSTRONG ATLANTIC 5, CLAYTON STATE 0
1. Viktoriya Semyrodenko (CLS) vs. Alida Muller-Wehlau, unfinished
2. Barbora Krtickova (AA) d. Katie White 6-1, 6-0
3. Ivana Krommelova (CLS) vs. Aleksndra Filipovski, unfinished
4. Marie Cercelletti (CLS) vs. Tina Ronel, unfinished
5. Martina Dedaj (CLS) vs. Kathleen Henry, unfinished
6. Joanna Szymczyk (AA) d. Charlotte Fabricius 6-2, 6-0
1. Muller-Wehlau/Krtickova (AA) d. Semyrodenko/Krommelova 8-2
2. Henry/Ronel (AA) d. White/Cercelletti 8-4
3. Filipovski/Jessica Gardefjord (AA) d. Dedaj/Jessica Budd 8-1