Train crashes into abandoned car in Locust Grove



A train ran into a car, after the vehicle fell into a ditch, and then landed on the railroad tracks in Locust Grove.

There were no occupants inside the car at the time of the crash, and there were no injuries as a result of the train wreck, said Locust Grove Police Sgt. Walter Marlin.

The accident happen at 1:42 a.m., Tuesday, near the intersection of Ga. Hwy. 42, and Grove Road, according to police.

“We got a call about a car being stuck on the railroad tracks,” said Marlin. “While we were out there, we contacted Norfork Southern [railroad] to give them a heads up on the situation.”

When police arrived at the scene, they found a Maroon Dodge Intrepid, which they believe took a “too-wide” turn, and had fallen over the edge of the roadway, with the rear of the car stuck on the railroad track.

“It landed right side up,” said Marlin. “There were ditches on both sides of the tracks and the car bottomed out on the tracks and got stuck. When we got there, the car was unoccupied. We checked the area, but was unable to locate any occupants of the vehicle. Then, we heard the train coming, and it all went down hill from there.

“The train came around the bend and struck the vehicle, and totaled the vehicle,” said Marlin. The crash was caught on the dashboard police cruiser video camera, he added.

“The engineer advised us he was doing 40 miles per hour,” said Marlin. “When I talked with the engineer, he said Norfork Southern contacted him about the car on the tracks, but when he looked up, there was the car. He said he only had a split second to react, and subsequently, hit the vehicle.”

Police observed a female walking along Ga. Hwy. 42. “She was intoxicated and denied knowing anything about the car,” said Marlin. “However, upon further investigation, the suspect’s last name and address matched the vehicle registration.”

Police arrested Kineisha Crosdale, 24, of Morrow. Crosdale was taken to the Henry County Jail and charged with two counts of disorderly conduct. One count was for obstructing and hindering a police investigation. The other was for public drunkenness, said Marlin.

The accident is still under investigation, he added.