Teenager captured after deputy shot, killed

Photo by Kathy Jefcoats
Hundreds of law enforcement officers from all over metro Atlanta swarmed Riverdale looking for a teenager accused of killing a Clayton County sheriff's deputy Wednesday afternoon.

Photo by Kathy Jefcoats Hundreds of law enforcement officers from all over metro Atlanta swarmed Riverdale looking for a teenager accused of killing a Clayton County sheriff's deputy Wednesday afternoon.

By Kathy Jefcoats


A teenager wanted in the killing of a Clayton County sheriff's deputy was captured about 8:30 p.m., Wednesday, after a massive manhunt in the East Fayetteville Road area of Riverdale.

Jonathan Bun, 17, of Riverdale, is expected to be charged with murder in the shooting death of the deputy. The deputy was shot and killed about 3 p.m. Wednesday as officers tried to arrest Bun on aggravated assault and armed robbery charges.

He was taken into custody about five-and-a-half hours later on Lake End Road, less than a mile from the shooting site. An officer reportedly suffered a dog bite during the capture, and required medical attention. It was not clear if the dog was a member of a K-9 unit.

The slain deputy is believed to be the first law enforcement officer with either the Clayton County Police Department, or the sheriff's office to ever die by gunfire in the line of duty. Clayton Police Lt. Tina Daniel said the last officer killed was Michael Davis, who died Oct. 18, 2007, in an automobile crash while on duty. Officer Shawn Newlin died in a motorcycle crash March 4, 2007.

Some news reports identified the slain deputy as Ricky Daly, 55, but Sheriff Kem Kimbrough declined to release the name by press time Wednesday.

Kimbrough and Chief Deputy Garland Watkins were attending a conference of law enforcement officers in Kentucky at the time of the shooting. Kimbrough returned to Atlanta about 9:30 p.m., and headed straight to the deputy's family in Pike County.

At least two police helicopters kept a presence in the air as officers from every jurisdiction in Clayton County, and from the Georgia State Patrol, Georgia Bureau of Investigation, DeKalb County, Fulton County, Fayette County and Atlanta, combed the area for Bun.

The deputy was reportedly trying to serve felony warrants on Bun when he was shot. He died at Southern Regional Medical Center in Riverdale.

According to police, Bun was 16 when he allegedly robbed Los Amigos Gifts and Things in Forest Park in January. Police said he followed an employee into the store office, produced a handgun and stole $200 in cash, before fleeing in a white, four-door car.

Warrants for aggravated assault and armed robbery were issued for Bun's arrest July 6. The GBI ordered the neighborhood around the shooting shut down, and residents were kept waiting for hours to go home. Rana Hassin, who lives close to where the shooting happened, said he was relieved when police made a peaceful arrest.

"Thank God, they got him alive," said Hassin. "The boy has a lot of relatives around here; you just never know who might be hiding him. I appreciate the efforts of the police."

The mosque where Hassin prays five times a day was included in the cordoned-off area. "I couldn't go to prayers today, because the police have it all blocked off," he said.

Former Clayton County Police Chief Jeff Turner said the deputy had worked for the Clayton County Police Department, off and on, for "20 or more years" before going to the sheriff's office, when Kimbrough was elected in 2008.

Turner called the deputy a "good officer and good friend."

Turner said he and the deputy had joined the police department at nearly the same time in the late 1980s, and often worked the same shifts as patrolmen early in their careers. Turner said the deputy eventually became a K-9 handler, and also worked in the Night Hawks drug interdiction unit.

"Truly, he was a great man," said Turner. "We used to call him 'Gomer Pyle,' because he was a down-to-earth, good old country boy."

Turner said the officer left the police department and "got out of the business for a few years," but came back when Turner became police chief in 2007.

He said the deputy leaves behind a wife, and several children. Some news reports identified one of Daly's sons as a lieutenant in the Fayette County Sheriff's Office.

"We worked together for 15 years," Turner said. "My heart goes out to the family."

-- Staff writer Curt Yeomans contributed to this report.