Alleged drive-by shooter captured quickly

McDonough police believe an ongoing spat between teens, led to a midday shooting in the City Square subdivision, Tuesday, that police are calling an attempted drive-by.

Rasheed Akeem Qaiyim,18, has been arrested in connection with a shotgun blast into a home on Tussahaw Crossing. He was in Henry County Magistrate Court, Wednesday, to answer charges of aggravated assault, reckless conduct, and criminal damage to property in the second degree.

Judge Robert Godwin set his bond at $10,000, and reset the hearing for March 22, to allow Qaiyim time to hire an attorney.

The motive for the shooting stems from an "ongoing" teenage feud, according to police. "It started as a fist-fight, a long time ago," according to a McDonough detective involved in the case. "They have had an ongoing beef since two years ago," the detective said. "It was a drive-shooting attempt. They hit the house, and missed the intended target."

Police responded at 12:49 p.m., on Tuesday, to the shooting, at a home on Tussahaw Crossing. Minutes later, at 12:55 p.m., police apprehended the alleged gunman, Qaiyim, at the intersection of Griffin Street and Old Griffin Road, police said.

"The accused did without legal justification discharge a certain firearm, a shotgun, from within a motor vehicle toward the person(s) ... while driving the vehicle," according to the Henry County Sheriff's Office arrest warrant.

Police acknowledge that there was another male in the car, with the alleged gunman during the shooting. "He was not charged with anything," the detective said. "His involvement is still under investigation."

Witnesses at the scene positively identified the shooter as Qaiyim, of McDonough, according to police, who added that the intended victim saw the shooter and was able to identify him name.

Officers located the gunman's car in the area, as it was leaving the crime scene, stopped the vehicle, arrested the suspect, and recovered a shotgun from the vehicle, police said.

Authorities credit the swift apprehension of the alleged gunman to observant officers and a rapid response time. The call was dispatched at 12:47 p.m., the first [police] unit arrived on the scene at 12:49 p.m., Qaiyim's car was located at 12:52 p.m., and he was in custody at 12:55 p.m., according to police.

"The officer, who spotted the vehicle, took time to be aware of his surroundings, and didn't develop tunnel vision," said the detective in the case. "Sometimes, officers focus too much on responding to a call, that they don't take time to be conscious of suspicious vehicles or persons that are leaving the area."