Photo by Heather Middleton
From Staff Reports
The magical run continued for the Clayton State Laker women's tennis team on Wednesday as the Lakers took the first step towards a possible NCAA Division II National Championship.
Playing in the NCAA Division II "Sweet 16" for a second straight season, the Lakers had little trouble against the Knights from Queens as Clayton State rolled to an impressive 5-0 victory at Sanlando Park.
The victory vaults the Lakers into the NCAA Division II "Elite Eight" for the first time in program history as 17-7 Clayton State will play Thursday at 1 p.m. against California (Penn.) in the national quarterfinals.
Women's tennis is the third different team for Clayton State to advance to at least the NCAA Division II "Elite Eight" this season, joining men's soccer and women's basketball.
Clayton State got it started with a sweep in doubles. Marie Cercelletti and Katie White disposed of Queens' Erika Goldsmith and Laura Mocodeanu 8-1 at No. 2, followed Viktoriya Semyrodenko and Ivana Krommelova winning an 8-2 decision at No. 1 over Linda Tatala-Colin and Andrea Salvetova. Martina Dedaj and Jessica Budd finished it for the Lakers at No. 3 with an 8-3 victory over Queens' Maria Mendes and Taylor Barber.
In singles, Semyrodenko blanked Mocodeanu 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1, and then Cercelletti fought off a second-game rally Daniela Celi to prevail 6-0, 6-4 at No. 4.
CLAYTON STATE 5, QUEENS 0
1. Viktoriya Semyrodenko (CLS) d. Laura Mocodeanu 6-0, 6-0
2. Katie White (CLS) vs. Linda Tatala-Colin, DNF
3. Ivana Krommelova (CLS) vs. Erika Goldsmith, DNF
4. Marie Cercelletti (CLS) d. Daniela Celi 6-0, 6-4
5. Martina Dedaj (CLS) vs. Maria Mendes, DNF
6. Charlotte Fabricius (CLS) vs. Andrea Salvetova, DNF
1. Semyrodenko/Krommelova (CLS) d. Tatala-Colin/Salvetova 8-2
2. White/Cercelletti (CLS) d. Goldsmith/Mocodeanu 8-1
3. Dedaj/Jessica Budd (CLS) d. Mendes/Taylor Barber 8-3