Photo by Heather Middleton
The magical postseason run in the 2011 season came to an end for the Clayton State Laker women's team on Friday in the NCAA Division II "Final Four."
The No. 12-ranked Lakers fell 5-0 against No. 3 Lynn in the NCAA Division II National Semifinals at Sanlando Park. The defeat concludes Clayton State's first season under new head coach Le'Trone Mason at 18-8 overall. It was arguably the best season ever in women's tennis at
Clayton State as the Lakers advanced to the NCAA Division II "Final Four" for the first time in program history.
It also marked the conclusion of illustrious careers for Laker seniors Katie White and Viktoriya Semyrodenko. Together, this duo paced
Clayton State to mark of 67-29 for their careers - arguably the best four-year run ever for women's tennis at Clayton State.
Lynn (27-2) advances to Saturday's NCAA Division II National Championship match against either No. 2 Barry or No. 4 Armstrong Atlantic.
The Lakers dropped all three matches in doubles and two in singles.
White and Marie Cercelletti fell 8-0 at No. 2 doubles against Lynn's Magdalena Ekert and Isabell Raich, while Martina Dedaj and Jessica Budd dropped an 8-5 decision against Lynn's Jessica Yanoff and Andrea Berkova at No. 3. Semyrodenko and Ivana Krommelova then dropped a tough 8-4 decision at No. 1 against Lynn's Eleonora Iannozzi and Ioana Ivan.
In singles, White fell 6-1, 6-0 against Iannozzi at No. 2, and Dedaj dropped a 6-2, 6-1 decision against Aleksandra Vukadinovic at No. 5.
LYNN 5, CLAYTON STATE 0
1. Viktoriya Semyrodenko (CLS) Magdalena Ekert DNF
2. Eleonora Iannozzi (L) d. Katie White 6-1, 6-0
3. Ivana Krommelova (CLS) vs. Isabell Raich DNF
4. Marie Cercelletti (CLS) vs. Ioana Ivan DNF
5. Aleksandra Vukadinovic (L) d. Martina Dedaj 6-2, 6-1
6. Charlotte Fabricius (CLS) vs. Andrea Berkova DNF
1. Iannozzi/Ivan (L) d. Semyrodenko/Krommelova 8-4
2. Ekert/Raich (L) d. White/Cercelletti 8-0
3. Jessica Yanoff/Andrea Berkova (L) d. Dedaj/Jessica Budd 8-5