0

Jonesboro family loses chimney in fire

 

 

A six-member Jonesboro family’s attempt to stay warm by a fire Wednesday afternoon ended with their chimney going up in flames, according to a spokesperson for Clayton County Fire and Emergency Services.

Fire Department spokesperson, Battalion Chief Jacque Feilke, said a chimney fire broke out just before 3 p.m., at a home located on Mandarin Drive, in Jonesboro.

She explained that the fire destroyed much of the chimney, and burned some wiring near the chimney, in the home. Power had to be shut off to the house, which otherwise only had smoke-and-water damage in the rest of the structure, she said.

“They had a fire going in the [fireplace] chimney, and suddenly the whole chimney just went up in flames, and we’re not sure why,” Feilke said. She later added: “They were doing everything they were supposed to be doing. Unfortunately, with everything burning up in the chimney, there’s not much left to tell us why this fire happened.”

Feilke said the Red Cross was called to provided assistance to the family, and she added that everyone in the family was safely evacuated from the home without suffering any injuries.

“This is a really good reminder of why it is important for people to get their chimneys inspected on a regular basis,” she said. “It’s a good idea to have your chimney cleaned and inspected by a chimney-cleaning service regularly, if not at least once a year.”

— Curt Yeomans