Congressman’s annual health fair coming Saturday

Sheriff’s challenger under 37-count indictment

Congressman David Scott

Congressman David Scott

JONESBORO — Congressman David Scott’s (D-Ga.) eighth annual 13th Congressional District Health Fair is literally — in the words of little orphan Annie — “only a day away.”

The health fair will take place tomorrow, Saturday, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Mundy’s Mill High School, 9652 Fayetteville Road, in Jonesboro. The event typically draws hundreds of people from across the 13th Congressional District, which stretches from south Cobb County around the west side of Atlanta and then into Clayton and Henry counties.

Scott said his office frequently receives phone calls from people in his district who need health care services but either have no insurance or not enough coverage.

That is why, he said, he partners with area medical providers on health care-related events, such as this weekend’s health fair.

“With this year’s health fair, I am continuing my focus on providing free screenings for breast cancer, prostate cancer, HIV/AIDS, diabetes, dental care and many others,” said Scott in a written statement provided to Clayton News Daily. “Most of these conditions disproportionately impact our community but early detection and treatment are vital.”

Eighty-three Atlanta area doctors and health care providers will be on hand to provide the health screenings. In addition to breast and prostate cancers, HIV/AIDS and diabetes, screenings will also be available for blood pressure, cholesterol, sickle cell, depression, vision and hearing.

Scott said he and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Regional Director Dr. Pam Roshell will open the health fair with remarks to attendees. Roshell will then give a presentation on how the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to uphold the Affordable Care Act will affect the law’s implementation.

“A new and unique addition for this year’s health fair will be the significant participation of the U.S. Veterans Administration to provide resourceful health care and benefits information for veterans,” said Scott.

Pre-registration is required for prostate, breast and dental exams. Call Scott’s Jonesboro District Office at (770) 210-5073 to register for those exams. Log onto www.davidscott.house.gov for additional information about the health fair.

Comments

MD 1 year, 8 months ago

That big cheezy smile is because voters are stupid and keep him in office.

spencerid 1 year ago

I want to change my career. Last year was a bad year, I lost my favorite job and now I am working in a domain that I hate. I found out that the local Hospital is looking for a health care administrator. Because I have a health care management degree, I am going to apply there and see what is happening. I am sick of my actual service. I will keep in mind your advice for my future job, thanks for them, they are really good.

OscarKnight 11 months, 1 week ago

spencerid; I thought that you said that you was an Attorney, in an earlier topic. Maybe you are wearing too many hats.......Many Skills, but the master of none ?

spencerid 10 months, 3 weeks ago

I tried many things, that's way I am changing my career, once again...

spencerid 11 months, 1 week ago

I think that cancer and AIDS are the worst diseases of this century. Once these people start the treatment for these illnesses, their immune system begins to weaken and thus they get sick too often. Sometimes a few home remedies, like a nascent iodine UK remedy or a remedy for flu, may do them some good, but for a short period of time.

OscarKnight 11 months, 1 week ago

....The best home remedy is a strict diet of fresh vegetables and fresh fruit. There are far too many harmful additives mixed into with frozen foods, canned foods, and fast food. Even the air that we breath is unhealthy.

spencerid 10 months, 3 weeks ago

You may be right, but sometimes even these remedies don't work (vegetables and fruits). This is the time when the other home made remedies come in to pictures. After all most of the home remedies are made from plants, roots and seeds, also good for the body.