Neighbor’s watch effort helps nab burglary suspect

Matthew Raymond Hurd

Matthew Raymond Hurd

A Stockbridge man received a $25,000 bond after he “struggled” with police during a burglary arrest. Henry County Police arrested Matthew Raymond Hurd for allegedly stealing a $15 bottle of wine and silverware valued at $15.

Hurd appeared before Henry County Magistrate Court Judge Robert Godwin Thursday. He is charged with two counts of burglary.

Police arrested the 41-year-old man Wednesday, after officers responded to a burglary in progress on Noah’s Ark Road, in Jonesboro.

Neighbors called police after they noticed the same car parked at their neighbor’s home. They told police it was the same vehicle that was parked there when the same home was burglarized on Tuesday. The homeowner had asked neighbors to watch the house because of the previous burglary, according to a police report written by Officer T. Spakosky.

“[The neighbor] stated he went to the residence and waited for the suspect, Mr. Hurd, to come out of the residence. [The neighbor] made contact with Mr. Hurd when he came out of the residence where he observed him with a bottle of wine in his hand,” said Officer Spakosky in the report. “[The neighbor advised Mr. Hurd not to leave because the police were on the way. [The neighbor] did have a .44 magnum revolver in his possession, but put it up upon my arrival.”

The officer instructed Hurd to put his hands behind his back and that he was not under arrest at the moment, but was being detained for further investigation. The officer said that, as he placed a handcuff on Hurd’s left arm, Hurd resisted arrest, and was “taken to the ground.”

Hurd received “a small cut on his left wrist” from the struggle. He was checked out by emergency personnel, treated and released at the scene, according to the police report.

The homeowner told police she did not know Hurd, and he did not have permission to be at the home. Henry Police Detective J. Clark questioned Hurd, who was later arrested. Hurd’s car was impounded, and he remained in the Henry County Jail at press time Friday.