As of Monday, July 2, 2012
© Copyright 2015
Clayton News Daily
Photo courtesy of Mark Herendeen
Morrow firefighters spent three hours Monday fighting a fire at a unit in the Woodbridge Condominiums Complex. One city firefighter was injured when he feel through the condo’s floor while fighting the fire. Forest Park firefighters assisted in the efforts to put out the fire.
MORROW — A seven-year veteran of the Morrow Fire Department got a little scare Monday after an injury suffered while fighting a condo fire sent him to the hospital.
Morrow Fire Chief Mark Herendeen said Firefighter-Paramedic Jim Hudgell fell through a floor while fighting a fire in a unit at the Woodstone Condominiums complex. The fire began at 10 a.m. and it took firefighters three hours to get the blaze under control.
Herendeen said Hudgell was released from the hospital Monday afternoon, but he was sent afterward to a chiropractor to check for any severe sprains.
“He fell through a second-story floor and onto a furnace,” Herendeen said.
Herendeen said Hudgell’s injuries are not believed to be so serious that it will necessitate him staying out of work for too long. The chief said he could not disclose the types of injuries Hudgell sustained because of federal HIPPA laws.
“He should be back to work maybe sometime around the middle of next week,” Herendeen said.
The fire was contained to only one condo unit and the people who lived there were not home at the time. He said the fire started in the condo’s furnace room and is believed to have been caused by an electrical problem.
“It was pretty stubborn because it got into the attic and we had a difficult time getting it to go out,” Herendeen said.
Forest Park firefighters assisted in efforts to put out the condo fire.