Judge sends murder case to Superior Court

The murder case against three relatives was bound over to Superior Court for possible grand jury presentment Tuesday following a lengthy preliminary hearing.

Clayton County Magistrate Richard Brown said issues raised during the hearing are best left to a trial judge.

“There are internal and external conflicts and issues with credibility in handing a gun to another in the midst of a fight about to take place,” said Brown. “All those are issues for a trial court so I’m going to leave them all for a trial court.”

Mashawn Anthonio Gresham, 27, of Riverdale; Kenneth Todd Gresham, 28, of Conley, and Kenneth Lamar Gresham, 26, of Atlanta, are charged with aggravated assault and murder in the April 15 shooting during a birthday party in Conley. John Goodrum, a local barber, was shot in the back and died at the scene. Another alleged shooter, Keyon Butler, was shot in the hand but survived.

Clayton County police Detective John Gossart testified under direct examination by Mark Smith that Butler was not charged because it was determined he fired in self-defense. Smith, who is practicing under a law that allows third-year law students in a courtroom under supervision, is an intern in the Clayton County District Attorney’s Office and student at Emory University School of Law.

The street shootout broke out about 10 p.m., during a birthday party on John Arnold Circle in Conley, said Gossart. Butler and Kenneth Todd Gresham, known as “K.D.,” had a previous altercation that erupted again during the party, he said.

“They had an ongoing past conflict that spilled over into being a street fight,” said Gossart. “But Mashawn Gresham handed a gun to Kenneth Lamar Gresham, known as ‘Nookie.’ Kenneth Lamar Gresham and Kenneth Todd Gresham began firing shots at Keyon Butler.”

Gossart said Butler took cover behind his white van where he kept a .40-caliber Glock and returned fire.

Gossart testified that numerous witnesses told police they saw the Gresham brothers fire at Butler and that Butler returned fire in self-defense. Goodrum, who spent most of the party inside the house giving haircuts, had stepped outside only to get chicken off the grill when he was shot, said Gossart.

“He was hit in the back and the bullet went into the right side of his back and exited the right side of his chest,” he said. “He died at Grady.”

Gossart said Goodrum’s body was found in the street behind Butler.

Because the bullet exited Goodrum’s body, Gossart said there is no projectile to compare to and identify the gun used to kill him.

“I found three different brands of .40-caliber shells in two different locations at the scene,” he said. “The bullet that killed Goodrum was not found.”

The defendants are being held in the Clayton County Jail without bond.