Hill defense objects to state's appeal

Attorneys file own appeal in decision

Photo by Kathy Jefcoats

Photo by Kathy Jefcoats Attorneys for Victor Hill (l-r) Steve Frey, Drew Findling and Musa Ghanayem announce the filing of an appeal in the case already delayed by a state's appeal.

By Kathy Jefcoats

kjefcoats@news-daily.com

ATLANTA — Attorneys for Clayton County sheriff-elect Victor Hill filed an appeal Wednesday in opposition to the prosecution's objection to the trial judge's dismissal of five felonies in the state's case against him.

The day after Hill won a hard-fought battle to reclaim the office of sheriff he lost in 2008 after one term, his four attorneys got permission from Judge Albert Collier to appeal his decision to allow the state's appeal.

The attorneys, Steve Frey, Drew Findling, Musa Ghanayem and Marissa Goldberg, held a press conference Wednesday to announce the filing.

Hill, 47, was indicted in January on 37 felony counts related to his term in office involving allegations of theft and influencing a witness. When Collier dropped five counts alleging misuse of Hill's campaign funds, special prosecutor Layla Zon of Alcovy Circuit filed an appeal with the state Court of Appeals.

The appeal stopped the Nov. 26 trial indefinitely. Findling said the delay is not fair to Hill, especially given the voters' overwhelming support of him. Unofficial results show Hill got 63,904 votes to Garland Watkins' 16,769, with 59 of 60 precincts counted.

"It's time to take this from the ballot box to the jury box," he said, reading from a prepared statement that he declined to disseminate to reporters who attended the press conference.

Findling also explained Hill's reluctance to give media interviews throughout his campaign.

"This is a Clayton County issue," he said. "He went all over Clayton County to speak to and answer questions of the Clayton County electorate. He's been at churches, picnics and funerals."

Frey said it could take up to 55 days for the defense appeal to be decided by the higher court.

Hill, whose law enforcement certification was suspended by the Peace Officers Standards and Training Council when he was indicted, is due to be sworn into office Jan. 1. Under Georgia law, he has six months to get valid certification or he is ineligible to hold office.

He will be the first sheriff-elect in Clayton County's history under felony indictment to be sworn into office.

Comments

nefarious 1 year, 5 months ago

How is Victor Hill able to pay all of these lawyers? He has judgements against him, claims to be going thru bankruptcy and yet he has 3 attorneys that have to be doing this for profit and not pro bono.HOW ????

GospelTruth 1 year, 5 months ago

Note to the governor's panel: Give us Garland Watkins (or someone with integrity)!!!

Lynn 1 year, 5 months ago

He got the votes because the voters could not figure out how to do a write in canidate....it was real hard to follow the instruction...push the blank area and then type....anything more than just pushing for a X was to hard. Is he using campaign funds to pay his 4 lawyers?

OscarKnight 1 year, 5 months ago

....Victor Hill is very well known for creating "Firsts" in our county, beginning with Nationally Known News Event of "The Snipers on the Roof" incident.

OscarKnight 1 year, 5 months ago

....Riddle Me with This Puzzle :

....Where does Victor obtain the cash funds for these Defense Attorneys ?

MD 1 year, 5 months ago

Just push for the state to desolve the county. Its finished with the idiot voters living here.

Lynn 1 year, 5 months ago

Not a bad idea, which idiot on the state level can we contact?

OscarKnight 1 year, 5 months ago

....The Officials in this county has this lopsided notion that Clayton County is a State.

.......Welcome To The Iron Curtain of Clayton County.

MD 1 year, 5 months ago

They are all crooks too.

OscarKnight 1 year, 5 months ago

...Riddle Me with this Pop Quiz :

Has Clayton County, Georgia, Became Nothing But Safe Haven for Thugs, Crime, Freeloaders, and Lopsided Democrats ?

OscarKnight 1 year, 5 months ago

.....I said to pull the plug on this county 6 years ago, but no one had their ears opened. I'm glad to see that someone is finally to come around to the truth. Clayton County has been like a ticking time bomb, laying and waiting to go off for about 15 years. I seen this happening, when attempting to go out for dinners, movies, and shopping; It was like entering a sinking ship every time we tried to enjoy ourselves or spend our hard earned money or our time off from work. In short order. This county has been doomed for very long time.

...Being Harassed, constantly by the thug elements and the police, is not a place that I would call my home. .

Judge_Not 1 year, 5 months ago

I thought EVERYONE had the right to a speedy trial!!!! Is this another political tactic to dismiss the wishes of Clayton County citizens shown via their votes? God's hand is in everything so money is not an issue when you have him on your side.....Sometimes God's children have to pray that he has mercy on the people that wrong them because God's wrath is unlike anything a human can do.

OscarKnight 1 year, 5 months ago

....Judge_Not; .......Are you sure that you're on the correct County News Forum ?.....This is Clayton County, in Georgia.

Judge_Not 1 year, 4 months ago

Well OscarKnight, I'm pretty sure I am capable of reading and responding. I know my exact location as well as the forum I reply too.....You seem to have a lot of hatred within that makes me wonder if its really about the matters at hand in Clayton County or if it is motivated racially. Aren't you glad no one 'pulled the plug' on you when they felt you were not living up to their expectations.

OscarKnight 1 year, 4 months ago

....Judge_Not : "hatred" ????

....If the truth about this county bothers you, the News is the last place that you would want to be.

......."racially" ???

.........Humor the audience, some more, with your lack of knowledge and charges ...Ha, Ha

Judge_Not 1 year, 4 months ago

Tell me something OscarKnight, why haven't you ran and been elected to an office to clean up Clayton County?

OscarKnight 1 year, 4 months ago

....Judge-Not; I never fed from tax trough in this county, if that is what you mean.

....My job entailed turning profits, with the world global American Production workforce. I, not only had to work 12 hours per day, I had to account every second, every penny, and work every day to increase the volume of the output of our production, for the past 40 years of my life.

....No matter what record that was set the day before, every day would be a day to set a new records....Otherwise, I would be replaced. Our workforce was comprised from many American cultural backgrounds and races.

...I would ask of you the same question, however, "Frankly My Dear, I Could Care Less"

......Please cease with the insults on my character.....

OscarKnight 1 year, 4 months ago

.....I expect the very same thing from our county officials, that would be expected from myself in my line of work. Clayton County is my home, and what attracted me to bring my family here doesn't exist anymore.

......Sad as it may seem, Our county has become nothing but an empty shell of what it once was, due in part, to the shameful embarrassments that has been seen during the last decade.

......Close you eyes, and use your imagination to paint a picture of the people, in our county, having bragging rights of living here; without having to wear rose colored glasses or blinders.

OscarKnight 1 year, 4 months ago

.....Riddle Me with this :

....How can anyone begin to clean up this mess in our county, when it continuity remains accepted by the majority of our residents, and voters ?

Robert 1 year, 4 months ago

You can not. . A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility. Robert A. Heinlein .

A civilian is collateral. Ty Estus Narada .

The difference lies in the field of civic virtue. A citizen accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic, of which he is a member, defending it, if need be, with his life. The civilian does not. . . As long as the people vote for their personal needs and not for what is good for the public then Clayton county and America will continue to spiral downward until it ultimately collapses in on itself. Then there will be civil unrest until everyone reaches the final conclusion that we must work together for the greater good. The great "reset" button.

OscarKnight 1 year, 4 months ago

.....Robert; I like your answers; It's good to finally see some light in this dysfunctional dungeon. It makes me want to post something good about our county.

OscarKnight 1 year, 4 months ago

....Riddle Me with this question :

....How Far Will This Shameless Display of Ignorance & Stupidity Go, Before The Bubble Burst in Our County ?

Robert 1 year, 4 months ago

It can go very low. When they have reached the bottom someone will grab a shovel and start digging.

OscarKnight 1 year, 4 months ago

...Robert received an A +, with 5 Gold Stars for his answer to the riddle.

....That leaves another question : Who can top Robert's answer to this riddle ?

OscarKnight 1 year, 4 months ago

.....Sometimes; A person might be promoted beyond their compatibility, among people living in our multicultural environment. I call this being lopsided, and catering to only one race of people.

OscarKnight 1 year, 4 months ago

......I reckon that there will be plenty objections to get this overblown egoistical tyrant off of the hook.

OscarKnight 1 year, 4 months ago

.....I always heard that it is against the nature of a Dog to poop where they sleep, and I also heard that you could house break a Dog by rubbing his nose in his own poop......It's a shame that the voters in Clayton County don't have the common sense of a Dog.

Robert 1 year, 4 months ago

Oscar, the dog won't teach himself those things. Someone has to teach him not to do those things. He isn't going to rub his own nose in it. He will just poop and walk away from it without a thought about someone else having to clean it up. Food appears without having to work for it, housing appears the same way and someone else pays for it and cleans up the mess.

OscarKnight 1 year, 4 months ago

....In other words, it depends on the teachings from the master.

......This is what I like about living on The Democrat Plantation of Clayton County; A person never ceases to learn new things every single day. Makes me wonder what treasures will be in our store for tomorrow.......I can't wait !!