Breaking News

One man dead, one wounded in shooting August 22, 2014

Riverdale students readying for plant sale

Riverdale High School junior Melvina Jones checks on plants she and other agriculture students at the school have grown for their fall plant sale fundraiser, which begins Monday.

— Melvina Jones has a green thumb that enables her to enjoy her agriculture class at Riverdale High School every day.

The high school junior said she likes working with plants, such as pansies, ferns, spider grass and cabbage, just to see how big they will grow. The bright colors of the pansies aren’t hard on the eyes either.

On Wednesday, Jones walked out of the school’s greenhouse with her agriculture teacher, Sabrina Davis, to check the moistness of the soil used to grow some pansies and cabbage for the school’s upcoming plant sale. She knelt down and stuck her fingers in the soil and gave a nod of approval to Davis.

“They’re OK,” said Jones. “The soil still feels moist.”

The agriculture class’ annual fall plant sale begins Monday at the school and will continue until all of the plants are sold, said Davis. People looking for Delta Blotch Rose Pansies, Violet Pansies, Single-Eye Pansies, purple and white cabbage and poinsettias can come buy them at the school during school hours, she added.

photo

Curt Yeomans

Riverdale High School agriculture students have been growing several types of pansies this semester for their fall plant sale, which begins Monday.

Small packs of cabbage will sell for $1 each, while pansies sell for $2 per six-pack or $10 for a tray of a half-dozen six-packs.

The poinsettias will also cost $10 per plant.

“Whatever money we earn from the sale, we put back into the agriculture program here at the school,” said Davis.

The agriculture students conduct two plant sale fundraisers each year, with the second sale expected to take place in the spring. That sale will feature a different line-up of plants, including ferns and spider grass, said Davis.

The plants sold at the sale are all grown by Riverdale agriculture students.

Jones and her classmates take turns watering the plants they are growing. They learn how to grow new plants from the trimmings they take from existing plants. They’ve been able to bring a couple of plants back from the edge of death.

“It’s a great opportunity to meet and get to know other students,” said Jones.

The school’s planting instructor said the students will also come to a person’s home on a weekend and plant the plants “for a donation” to the agriculture program.

People interested in buying plants from the school can call Davis at 770-473-2905 to coordinate a time to come by the school’s greenhouse to buy some plants. She said she is at the school from 7:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. every day except for Fridays, when she leaves work earlier in the day.

Riverdale High School is located at 160 Roberts Drive, in Riverdale.

Comments

GospelTruth 1 year, 9 months ago

This is glorious! Enterprising students will be equipped to further their skills at one of Georgia's fine agricultural colleges or in the growing organic farming movement. Can't beat the prices and plant quality from student greenhouses.

It's a pity Jonesboro High School killed its Greenhouse/Agricultural program. I enjoyed buying plants there too.

Ellison12 1 year, 9 months ago

This is an outstanding article I would have never thought that she had a “green thumb “. I think that teaching the kids to grow plants is a great idea and a great career that they can look forward to in life.

dhattkiddj 1 year, 9 months ago

Well it seems that their doing a great job on the plants. Agirucultrue is a great class you learn about how too work with plants. Some people dont know that when dealing with plants comes alot a resposibility and it takes time. When your taking care of plants you hav feed them water them and other things. I have had a plant before but i didnt know how to take care of it so it dead. But now that i have this class next time i get a plant i will know how too take care of it. I will be letting people know about the plants that are on sale.

dhattkiddj 1 year, 9 months ago

Well it seems like agriucluture is a good class too take. Some people wont realize how important it is and responsebility comes when taking care of plants. This Blog is a good thing for some students that like plants and really dont know that much about it. I had a plant once but i didnt really know how too take care of it but nextb time i will.

jsidney72 1 year, 9 months ago

At first I could not stand the thought of a plant class that I actually have to deal with flowers and get dirty. This being my second year I have enjoyed dealing with plants and it is much more than just flowers.

aisiakeith 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow! This article is so accurate about the agricultural pride of Riverdale High School. From taking the agriculture courses, I am aware of the skill required to maintain such plants. I will be on my way to make a purchase very soon.

alexusharrell123 1 year, 9 months ago

This article is very interesting. This article has gave me a brief insight on how exciting it is to be a agricultural farmer. These prices are also very reasonable when you look at the quality of the plants. Riverdale high school has really stepped their farming movement up. Congradulations Riverdale! Keep up the good work!

Casanova 1 year, 9 months ago

This is stupendous! it's awsome how young teens can get involve in agricultural today. we need more agricultural programs in schools worldwide.

Giggles69 1 year, 9 months ago

As a student who is currently takes Mrs.Davis Agriculture class I understand Melvina's love for plants. Melvina is one of my classmates and from personal experience I know she enjoys this class and inspires us all to do our best. I am also excited for our plant sales I take pride in our school and I look forward to advancing the Agriculture class I love so much..

LaughingMan 1 year, 9 months ago

It was a great topic about how the student in agriculture are active in growing and taking care of their plants.

Brandon16 1 year, 9 months ago

I believe that we are doing a great job working in agriculture and with the plants. We are very thankfull that our agriculture classes can contribute to the fall sale using all of our magificent plants.

melissabranch13 1 year, 9 months ago

This article is a great! I am glad that there is a student participating in Agricultural Science; finding it very intriguing. Also, it is very good that the school is selling flowers. Keep up the good work!

Eri94 1 year, 9 months ago

The Riverdlae high school agriculture class is doing a good job in the greenhouse. i love working with plants, i also enjoy every moment in the greenhouse.

KRobinson 1 year, 9 months ago

It's an interesting story, but I've never heard of Melvina Jones. Then again, I am new to the "agriculture" business so I can't really talk. The plant sell sounds good though. If only they weren't so expensive...

OscarKnight 1 year, 9 months ago

...George Washington Carver was one of this Nation's greatest agricultural chemist in U.S. history.

peter_hippolyte 1 year, 9 months ago

After reading this article i was totally amazed because i myself a student of the school have never seen this garden.I personally believe that this is a great project to carry out.I am hoping that they succeed in their plant sale and may their goal be achieved.If they could have reached out to the community and help others create a garden it would be even better.

Seiya_Ker 1 year, 9 months ago

It amazes me how much dedication students put into this class. Riverdale high school agriculture class seems to be doing a tremendous job. Goodluck on the plant sale!

terryn 1 year, 9 months ago

This is a great opportunity for students to experience in raising plants and helping out the community by fundraising plants sell.

ChiomaIyizoba13 1 year, 9 months ago

The Riverdale highschool is doing a tremendous job in their plant science department. I know they will do exceptionally well in their upcoming plant sale. I am a current student in Mrs. Sterns class, and i beleive that what she's doing something that is benificial for the school, and the community.

jjhen16 1 year, 9 months ago

This is my first year in agriculture and it has been a great experience from getting out of the classroom to help the environment and to turn the world green!!!

nashe1996 1 year, 9 months ago

This is a great article that exposes the good things that are done at Riverdale High School. This plant sale is a wonderful way to raise money for the agricultural program. More CTAE programs should do fundaisers like this to raise money for the specific CTAE program.

treboniew 1 year, 9 months ago

I think that selling plants is a good way to earn money for the agriculture program. I wish that my class could water plants in the greenhouse though. I think that it is a good chance that people will buy these plants. Good luck on the plant sale !

princesims1 1 year, 9 months ago

this is my first agrisicence class. with mrs. stearns she is a great agriscience teacher and you can get to know some with this class. may not deal with plants later in life but you can use that later in life to fall back on or use it in life

JasmineHart17 1 year, 9 months ago

Siince This Is My First Year In a Agriculture Class Im Kind of Exicted To Work With Plants And This Fundraiser Is A Perfect Idea For The School And To Give Beautiful Plants To People And Know That It'll Make Their Faces Glow With Excitement.

rebeca123 1 year, 9 months ago

I think that it is great that Riverdale High School is having a plant fundraiser. I hope that it is successful that we can put money back into the agricultural program. I did not know that the agriculture students have two plant sale fundraiser each year. It is a good idea for students to go to peoples' home on a weekend and plant the plants "for a donation" to the agriculture program.

Jada_Campbell 1 year, 9 months ago

Its my first year in Agriscience , i thinks its cool that our school is doing a plant fundraiser . Also , i hope its goes well.

Jay272 1 year, 9 months ago

I think that selling plants is a good idea.Because you are helping the community by sellng plants is making the community a better place.It nice that riverdale is having a fundraiser

OscarKnight 1 year, 9 months ago

....The Land in Clayton County would serve a more valuable purpose, by being plowed and having collard greens planting, in the place of empty buildings.