The Good Shepherd Clinic in Morrow will host its annual Tomato Sandwich Party fundraiser Saturday at the Morrow Center. (Staff Photo: Curt Yeomans)
MORROW — Scores of tomatoes will make the ultimate sacrifice this weekend to help uninsured Clayton County residents get medical care.
The Good Shepherd Clinic will hold its annual Tomato Sandwich Party Fundraiser Saturday from 5 until 7:30 p.m. at the Morrow Center, 1180 Southlake Circle, Suite 100. The event is the clinic’s signature money-making activity and it counts on residents to attend and make donations to help it keep its doors open.
The clinic’s mission is to provide medical care to Clayton County residents who cannot afford insurance and would otherwise not have access to a doctor’s care.
The minimum donation is $13 per individual or $25 per couple.
The party will be one of the highlights of a weekend that will include several other events, such as:
The opening reception for the “Reflections of Hollywood’s Golden Era” exhibit at the Arts Clayton Gallery, 136 South Main St. in Jonesboro. The free reception will last from 5:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m.
• A fishing derby hosted by Clayton County Parks and Recreation 8 a.m. until noon at Clayton County International Park, 2300 Ga. 138 in Jonesboro. Participation costs $5 per person.
• A free community health fair from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Grace Church International, 6558 Fielder Road in Rex.
• The Chick-fil-A Back to School Bash from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. at First Baptist Church of Jonesboro’s Recreation Outreach Center, 147 Church St. It will include moonwalks, school supplies giveaways, Chick-fil-A food and family activities. Church Street is expected to be closed between Memorial Avenue and Riley Way from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. for the event.
• Storytime with Ms. Julie will be held at Barnes and Noble, 1939 Mount Zion Road in Morrow at 11 a.m. Participants will sing songs and read a story together.
• Nook Q&A will be held at Barnes and Noble in Morrow at 4 p.m. Nook enthusiasts and newbies will learn how to better use the mobile reading device at this free event.
• A Hearts to Nourish Hope Back to School Bash from 4 p.m. until 9 p.m. at the nonprofit’s office, 640 Ga. Highway 138 in Riverdale. It will include youth performances, wrestling matches, food and school supply giveaways.
• Auditions will be held from 2:30 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. at Stately Oaks Plantation, 100 Carriage Lane in Jonesboro, for the Front Porch Players Production of “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.” About 25 to 30 cast members are needed for the production, including 15 children ages 5 to 14.