Hill acquitted on all counts

Defense attorney Drew Findling embraces Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill after a jury acquitted him on 25 felony charges late Thursday afternoon. (Staff Photo: Kathy Jefcoats)

JONESBORO — Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill has been acquitted on all charges against him.

A Clayton County jury returned a verdict of not guilty on 25 felony counts late Thursday afternoon.

Jurors were hung on two counts, which special prosecutor Layla Zon agreed to drop in exchange for getting the verdict rendered without delay.

Hill did not address the media after the verdict but his defense team did.

Attorney Drew Findling called the prosecution “ridiculous.”

“We told you a long time ago, we’d take this from the ballot box to the jury box,” said Findling. “This was a ridiculous, disgraceful and unconstitutional indictment against him. Sheriff Hill is not here because he’s back to work and other than address you on issues of law and order, he wouldn’t dignify this prosecution.”

Findling reiterated what he said in court, calling former Sheriff Kem Kimbrough the “true racketeer.”

“Sheriff Hill will not dignify what was exposed in that courtroom,” he said. “The real RICO was a 48-week surveillance where he was followed around.”

Co-counsel Steve Frey said Hill is “surrounded by family and friends and eager to get back to work.”

He said he estimated the county spent “untold” dollars in the prosecution of Hill.

“Probably close to $1 million,” said Frey.

Findling called for an investigation into the $400,000 he said was spent during the 48-week surveillance of Hill in the months leading up to his January 2012 indictment.

“People need to look at that money they spent following him around,” he said. “Money spent by the very people who felt threatened by him.”

Zon prosecuted the case for Clayton County District Attorney Tracy Graham Lawson.

Lawson said after the verdict that she appreciated Zon’s efforts.

“I just want to express my gratitude to Layla Zon for coming in and to the jurors for sifting through evidence and for their service to Clayton County,” said Lawson.

Comments

OscarKnight 1 year ago

...Thank You Providing Us With This News Service, in Our County.

OscarKnight 1 year ago

...I have had an enjoyable time on The Clayton News Daily. I would like to Send my Best Wishes to All.

....As I part my ways, here, I would like to Thank those that read my comments in good faith.

...May God Bless you.

MD 1 year ago

The Victor Hill circus has gone. Now watch what happens that the king has power.

Michael 1 year ago

Oscar, I have enjoyed reading your comments. You will be missed.

MD, I would hate to be one of the prosecution's witnesses. Walking Small will get even. And now that he has been acquitted on these charges, the real circus will begin. Clayton County taxpayers I would say BOHICA.

MD 1 year ago

He is know for payback, so there will be trouble. On the other hand, he is known for getting into trouble fast, so if we are lucky, he will make a big mistake, and not be there long. his mind works like a five year old mind does.

MD 1 year ago

Where you going Oscar?

DE 1 year ago

I don't agree with the verdict, but Victor had his day in court and these are the results...

I guess Victor can proudly pronounce that he is "Ten Feet Tall and Jury Proof"

Michael 1 year ago

I am guessing that an audit of the juror's bank accounts would show deposits from Lil Vic's Nevada corporations. On the other hand, I wonder how long it will be before he demands reimbursement from the county for his legal fees.

MD 1 year ago

All the news ain't bad! Look who is leaving! http://www.news-daily.com/news/2013/a...

OscarKnight 1 year ago

.....Just Visiting :

.....Seems that Victor will be back in action.