JONESBORO Clayton County legislators are in positions that allow them to influence legislation that addresses some of the most important issues facing Georgia.
They were assigned by the leaders of their respective chambers recently to high-profile committees, including budgets, appropriations, government oversight, education, interstate cooperation and public safety.
In the State Senate, Sens. Gail Davenport (D-Jonesboro) and Valencia Seay (D-Riverdale) were assigned to the Senate’s influencial Appropriations Committee. Their assignment gives them a voice in funding allocations for state agencies and departments.
Davenport will sit on the committee’s General Government and Higher Education subcommittees while Seay sits on the Community Health and Public Safety subcommittees.
Davenport, who is the chairwoman of the Clayton County Legislative Delegation, was also assigned to the Special Judiciary, State Institutions and Property, Urban Affairs and Veterans, Military and Homeland Security committees.
Seay was also assigned to the Government Oversight, Public Safety and Science and Technology committees. She is also an ex-officio member of the Transportation committee.
“I’m honored to participate in these different committees,” said Seay in a written statement. “It is through the committee process that robust debate can stitch together beneficial public policy for all Georgians.”
Over in the State House of Representatives, longtime Rep. Darryl Jordan (D-Riverdale) has been assigned to the House’s influencial Budget and Fiscal Affairs Committee, while Rep. Mike Glanton (D-Jonesboro) was assigned to the Appropriations Committee’s Education Subcommittee.
The Budget and Fiscal Affairs committee is tasked with overseeing spending programs in the state budget. Meanwhile, as is the case in the Senate, the appropriations committee’s main duty is to handle the budgets for state agencies and departments.
Glanton is also a member of the separate Education Committee, which handles all legislation pertaining to Pre-K through 12th-grade education.
Other House committee assignments include:
• Rep. Demetrius Douglas (D-Stockbridge) — Banks & Banking, Intragovernmental Coordination and Motor Vehicles committees.
• Glanton — Defense & Veterans Affairs and Public Safety and Homeland Security committees.
• Jordan — Banks & Banking, Motor Vehicles and Transportation committees.
• Rep. Ronnie Mabra (D-Fayetteville) — Code Revision, Higher Education and Judiciary committees.
• Rep. Sandra Scott (D-Rex) — Human Relations & Aging, Legislative & Congressional Reapportionment, Science and Technology and Special Rules committees.
• Rep. Valencia Stovall (D-Ellenwood) — Code Revision, Interstate Cooperation and Small Business Development committees.
• Rep. Keisha Waites (D-Atlanta) — Interstate Cooperation, Juvenile Justice, Public Safety and Homeland Security, Special Rules and Transportation committees.