By Kathy Jefcoats
JONESBORO — A Clayton County grand jury indicted a McDonough man in the 2011 crash that nearly killed Morrow Mayor J.B. Burke.
Reginald Deon Dunson, 43, was indicted this week for serious injury by vehicle, reckless driving for operating a cell phone while driving, giving false statements, running a stop sign, failure to stop and render aid and failure to operate a motor vehicle with due care.
Police said Dunson reported his 2008 Cadillac Escalade stolen the day after the Oct. 16, 2011, hit and run that seriously injured Burke. Burke suffered a ruptured spleen, broken left hand, fractured ribs and a punctured lung. He was in Grady Memorial Hospital Intensive Care Unit for nearly a week and returned after doctors discovered his ruptured spleen.
In other indictments:
• Frances Lavonne Stafford was charged with two counts of aggravated assault and simple battery and four counts of third-degree child cruelty. Police said she threw a pot of Manwich sloppy joe mix at the father of her child in front of four children Nov. 16.
• Miguel Angel Ribot was indicted for making false statements, criminal trespass, battery, battery under the Family Violence Act and harassing phone calls. Police said he lied about needing a temporary restraining order against a woman and continued to contact her July 20. Police said Ribot grabbed her shirt and tore it.
• James Richard Campbell was indicted for aggravated sodomy, two counts of battery, aggravated assault, false imprisonment and aggravated stalking. Police said he beat a woman in the head with a vase and with a belt.
• Kindall Trevor Matthews was indicted on two counts of armed robbery in the July 13 thefts at Boost Mobile and Metro PCS. He was also indicted for two counts each of aggravated assault and false imprisonment, four counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, fleeing or attempting to elude police and obstruction of a Riverdale police officer.
• Saquita Shonta Kemp was indicted for two counts of aggravated assault with a gun and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime in an alleged March 27 incident.
• Shawn Andre Wilson was indicted for first-degree child cruelty for allegedly beating a child in the head Nov. 14. Wilson also faces charges of battery under the Family Violence Act and third-degree child cruelty for allegedly beating the child in front of a second child.
• Victor Jerome Montgomery was indicted for the Nov. 28 burglary of CVS on Tara Boulevard. He was also indicted for criminal damage to property in the second degree and loitering.
• Mohammed Azozz Maqrouf was indicted for alleged sex crimes against two girls under 16. He was charged with enticing a child for indecent purposes, and two counts each of child molestation and sexual battery.
• Timothy Darryl Battle Jr. was indicted for rape, and two counts each of aggravated sodomy, aggravated child molestation, aggravated sexual battery and child molestation. Police said Battle raped two girls under 10 during 2001 and 2002.
• Cleophus Ivan Higgins was indicted for sexual exploitation of a child. Police said he transmitted electronic images of two children under 18 in October 2011.
All defendants should be considered innocent until proven guilty.