Man indicted in child's death

Three relatives held in barber's shooting

By Kathy Jefcoats


JONESBORO — The live-in boyfriend of a mother of four has been indicted in the death of one of her children and the serious injury of a second.

Kemra Nesta Matthews, 30, is being held in the Clayton County Jail on murder and other felonies in the July 11 death of Jadien Harvey, 2. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation autopsy report showed that Harvey suffered a skull fracture, bruises to his scalp, and bleeding in his brain and abdomen.

The toddler's brother, Ashton Capers, 4, was treated for fatigue and vomiting the day Harvey died. A medical exam of the child performed at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta showed Capers suffered elevated liver and pancreatic enzymes, a serosal tear in his small intestines, a bruise on his lower back, a spinal compression fracture, a fracture of his left shin bone that showed no signs of healing and a condition where his skeletal muscle fibers were rapidly breaking down.

Clayton County police said Matthews was baby-sitting the kids from 7:45 a.m. when their mother, Ashley Harvey, left for work, until 10:30 a.m. He then took the kids to a neighbor, who reportedly told police the brothers were vomiting. The mother reportedly told police that her children were fine in the days leading up to the alleged assault.

Matthews was indicted Wednesday on felony murder, two counts each of aggravated assault, aggravated battery and child cruelty.

Three relatives were indicted in an April 15 shooting at a Conley birthday party. Mashawn Anthonio Gresham, 28, of Riverdale; Kenneth Todd Gresham, 29, of Conley and Kenneth Lamar Gresham, 27, of Atlanta, are charged with aggravated assault and murder in the death of John Goodrum, a local barber.

Clayton County police said Goodrum was at the party giving haircuts inside the house and was shot when he stepped outside to get chicken off the grill. Another alleged shooter, Keyon Butler, was shot in the hand but survived.

Clayton County police Detective John Gossart testified during a preliminary hearing in June that Butler was not charged because it was determined he fired in self-defense.

The street shootout broke out about 10 p.m. during the birthday party on John Arnold Circle in Conley, said Gossart. Butler and Kenneth Todd Gresham, known as "K.D.," had a previous altercation that erupted again during the party, he said.

"They had an ongoing past conflict that spilled over into being a street fight," said Gossart in June. "But Mashawn Gresham handed a gun to Kenneth Lamar Gresham, known as 'Nookie.' Kenneth Lamar Gresham and Kenneth Todd Gresham began firing shots at Keyon Butler."

Gossart said Butler took cover behind his white van where he kept a .40-caliber Glock and returned fire.

Gossart testified that numerous witnesses told police they saw the Gresham brothers fire at Butler and that Butler returned fire in self-defense. Goodrum, who spent most of the party inside the house giving haircuts, had stepped outside only to get chicken off the grill when he was shot, said Gossart.

"He was hit in the back and the bullet went into the right side of his back and exited the right side of his chest," he said. "He died at Grady."

Gossart said Goodrum's body was found in the street behind Butler.

Because the bullet exited Goodrum's body, Gossart said there is no projectile to compare to and identify the gun used to kill him.

"I found three different brands of .40-caliber shells in two different locations at the scene," he said. "The bullet that killed Goodrum was not found."