JONESBORO The city of Jonesboro will relaunch its summer concert series Saturday with a little bit of bluegrass and a little bit of rock-and-roll.
The Shoulderbone Creek Orchestra will perform a free concert from 7 p.m. until 10 p.m. at Lee Street Park at the corner of Lee and Smith streets. They will be joined by special guests, The Young Guns.
Although Jonesboro has hosted a few concerts in recent years, this weekend’s performance will mark the beginning of the city’s first regular concert series since 2010. Although it had been an annual fixture in Jonesboro, the series fell victim to budget cuts.
Officials sought almost immediately to bring it back and made a few attempts to gauge interest in 2011 and 2012 with jazz concerts and a performance by a Beatles cover band. Additional concerts in the revived series will take place in August and September.
Other events taking place this weekend include:
• The Brookdale Dine and Dance Club will meet at 6 p.m. at the Jim Huie Recreation Center, 9045 Tara Blvd., Jonesboro. The group is for residents over 55 and visitors are asked to bring a dish for a potluck dinner held at the beginning of the meeting. After dinner, at about 6:45 p.m., attendees will begin dancing. Admission is $5 for the dancing.
• Lego Architecture Studio will be held at Barnes and Noble at 1939 Mount Zion Road in Morrow from 6:30 p.m. until 7 p.m. for patrons of all ages. Participants will learn how to build a “Lego masterpiece” during the free event.
• Georgia Grown Farmers Showcase will be held from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the State Farmer’s Market on Forest Parkway in Forest Park. Attendees will be able to buy fresh produce from vendors at the market, enjoy foods prepared by Georgia chefs, learn food safety and preparation tips, and sample Georgia-made products.
• Storytime with Ms. Julie will be held at Barnes and Noble in Morrow at 11 a.m. Participants will sing songs and read a story together.
• Music to my Eyes: A Musical Film Series will be held at 11 a.m. at the Forest Park Library Branch at 4812 West St. New and classic film musicals will be shown.
• Collage Class will be offered from 2 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. at the Riverdale Library Branch at 420 Valley Hill Road. Participants are asked to bring old magazines, newspapers or other types of paper or cardboard to make collages during the class. Pre-registration is requested. Call 770-472-8100 to register.
• Saturday Family Movie will be held at 2 p.m. at the Lovejoy Library Branch at 1721 McDonough Road. The movie to be shown is “A Bug’s Life.”
• Nook Q&A will be held at Barnes and Noble in Morrow at 4 p.m. Nook enthusiasts and newbies will learn how to better use the mobile reading device at this free event.
• Movie Under the Stars will be held at Panhandle Park at 10930 Panhandle Road in Jonesboro, beginning at dusk. The movie to be shown at the free event is “Escape from Planet Earth.”
• A preview service will be held at Anointed Victory Community Church at 5 p.m. at 194 Jonesboro Road Suite N in Jonesboro. The service is intended to give attendees a chance to see what the church has to offer. A pre-service mixer will be held at 4:30 p.m.