Why do citizens say they pay taxes?

Will elected officials listen?

Nothing in life, they say, is more certain than death and taxes.

Sometimes it seems it would be easier to escape death than the revenuer.

No one likes taxes.

Taxes take many forms.

There are sales tax, Special Purpose Local Option Sales tax, ad valorem tax, state income tax, federal income tax, use tax, luxury tax, franchise tax and property tax.

Any way you slice it, a tax is a tax is a tax.

No matter what you call a tax, or how it is collected, everyone is taxed to the hilt.

When you add all forms of taxation together, the percentage of our incomes that goes to fund local, state and federal government in the form of taxes is staggering.

When you ask people about paying taxes, the very best thing they have to say is that it is a necessary evil.

When you ask people why they pay taxes, they will most often tell you three things:

• Roads and infrastructure

• Public education

• Law enforcement, public safety

While those three things may account for a large piece of the pie, it is mind-boggling how much of our tax dollars goes to fund government itself.

The amount of money we spend on administration, staffing, perks and government buildings is disproportionate.

The number of executive level positions and department heads in local government compared to the number of rank and file employees also seems disproportionate.

Some of our opulent government buildings bear a marker that says, “Funded by SPLOST,” as if, somehow, SPLOST is something other than local taxpayer dollars.

If officials don’t raise the millage rate, but they ask voters to fund a Local Option Sales Tax, it is still taxation and it still comes out of our pockets.

When it comes to the city, county or school board budget, citizens have every right to question every penny.

As citizens look at city and county budgets, they should take a long hard look at how much government spends on itself.

Jonesboro city government is looking for ways to shift spending to allocate more taxpayer money for law enforcement — one of the three principle reasons citizens say they pay taxes.

We hope the Clayton County Commission is paying close attention.

— Editor Jim Zachary

Comments

OscarKnight 10 months, 1 week ago

....Taxes becomes fair, when everyone is required to pay Taxes.

.....It's not about paying Taxes, It's about those that don't pay Taxes and continues to depend on Government Freebies, at the Expense of The Tax Payers Dime. Is this Fair Justice within our Nation ?

...Welcome To Democrat Plantation of Clayton County, Georgia.

DE 10 months, 1 week ago

Go to the "Fair Tax" on the Federal level. Only then will ALL pay their "Fair Share". Disband the IRS and save the taxpayers even more money from being wasted as we have seen this past week. This would also force those cheating the system to pay their fair share every time they purchase something.

OscarKnight 10 months, 1 week ago

.....As an American Citizen, I always took pride in carrying my own weight on the tax roll.

OscarKnight 10 months, 1 week ago

Quote : (( "We hope the Clayton County Commission is paying close attention."))

.....I hope that this Nation's Leaders is paying close attention.

Robert 10 months, 1 week ago

Two very good videos that you have posted there Oscar and I appreciate the information. Like you, I have paid more than my fare share of taxes (and not by choice either) only to have lazy people whine and complain that they need more. Our so-called leaders are NOT paying attention because they have theirs and plan on keeping theirs. They want from us. I know what Bill Whittle is saying when he says that he's been poor. So have I and I'm not by any definition "Rich" now. Neither am I able to grow because the economy isn't growing. Actually I'm making less than I was ten years ago because of the stalled economy. It's time to cut national spending starting with foreign aid to countries that hate us. It's time to cut out twenty year assistance programs to people who are Illegal. It's time to cut our second and third generation welfare recipients. I know first hand that if you get hungry you also get motivated.

OscarKnight 10 months, 1 week ago

.....Robert; When times gets tough, it's time to for the tough to get going. I was down to my last can of beans, with family, in 1974, when I went to an Army recruiter and re-enlisted for another 3 years. In the meantime, I was selling my blood for 10 dollars per pint, in order to feed my family & myself. I never knew anything about Government Assistance Freebies. I was always told that the world didn't owe me anything. This kinda stuff turns my stomach inside outwards. Being a working family, my wife and I couldn't afford more than two children.

OscarKnight 10 months, 1 week ago

.....Welfare is meant for those in dire needs, and those American Families that has contributed into the system for many years.

....And we have those that flat refuses to leave the Government Plantation.