By Kathy Jefcoats
JONESBORO — A Jonesboro man who was 17 when he was charged with kidnapping his girlfriend and her baby from a group home has been indicted in that case and an alleged shooting.
Tequez Lepalle Miller, 19, is being held in the Clayton County Jail. He was indicted Wednesday on charges of kidnapping a person under 14, kidnapping, three counts of simple battery and two counts of interference with custody.
Police said he went to a Jonesboro group home and left with his girlfriend and her 1-month-old baby Dec. 13, 2010. Miller was 17. Police said he pushed the house mother to the ground and kicked her in the stomach and hips in his attempt to get away.
Police said the girl went willingly but did not have legal custody of her baby and no right to take the child away from the home.
Miller was also indicted in a March 14, 2011, shooting. He faces charges of aggravated battery, aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and by a person under 18.
Police said Miller shot Kiemond Carter in the arm and leg.
Miller is also a suspect with three others in a string of armed robberies reported in Lovejoy during late 2010.
In other indictments:
• Lavontae Rashun Starks, 21, of Morrow faces armed robbery and aggravated assault charges in connection with an alleged July 23 incident. Starks was also indicted for burglary, two counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and pointing a pistol at another. He is in the Clayton County Jail.
• Micheal Dominique Spruill, 19, of Morrow was indicted for child molestation and cruelty to children in an alleged Sept. 13 incident. He is being held in the Clayton County Jail.
• Devonte M. Lightning, 20, of Atlanta has been indicted for unlawful removal of baggage and theft by taking. Police said he took luggage belonging to someone else Dec. 27. Lightning is in the Clayton County Jail.
• Sedezier Russell Thompson Jr. was indicted for criminal damage to property and obstruction of an officer. Police said he threw a chair threw a window and kicked open a door during an alleged Dec. 16 incident.
• Stephen Brian Tolbert Jr. was indicted for attempted burglary. Police said he jumped a locked fence at the rear of an apartment and tried to open a window. He was also indicted for loitering in the alleged Nov. 20 incident.
• Joshua Jerome Times, William Henry Lewis, Jaquinten Daquan Gordon and Frederick Aquanus White Sr. were indicted for burglary and theft by taking in an alleged Dec. 7 incident. Police said they broke into a home and took items without permission.
• Robert Allen Grimes, 39, of Jonesboro was indicted for three counts of obstruction, theft by receiving stolen property and Violation of Georgia’s Controlled Substances Act. Police said Grimes grabbed an Atlanta police officer by the throat, slammed his foot onto the foot of a second officer and refused to comply with a third officer’s commands during an alleged Oct. 20 incident at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
Police said he had possession of luggage that had been reported stolen and possession of less than an ounce of marijuana. He is being held in the Clayton County Jail.
• Andre William Carroll Jr. was indicted for allegedly kicking a Riverdale police officer during an alleged Sept. 22, 2011, incident. Carroll also faces charges of disorderly conduct for allegedly yelling and screaming at the officer and simple battery on a law enforcement officer for kicking. He was also indicted for criminal trespass for putting holes in the walls of an apartment.
All defendants should be considered innocent until proven guilty.