JONESBORO Clayton County will be filled with runners, mothers, daughters and partiers this weekend.
The lineup of events slated to take place today through Sunday ranges from the fight against cancer to Cinco de Mayo. Music from Russia and the Ukraine is in the mix, too.
One highlight will be the annual Relay for Life of Clayton County tonight.
On top of all that, the governor will visit the county to address Clayton State University graduates Saturday morning.
This weekend’s list of events includes:
• The Georgia Recreation and Parks Association’s State Track and Field Meet will be held from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. at Twelve Oaks Stadium, 1587 McDonough Road, Lovejoy. Admission is $5 per person.
• The American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life of Clayton County will begin at 6 p.m. at Southern Crescent Stadium, 6237 Garden Walk Blvd., Riverdale. As many as 1,000 cancer research supporters are expected to participate in the event.
• The Brookdale Dine and Dance Club will meet at 6 p.m. at the Jim Huie Recreation Center, 9045 Tara Blvd., Jonesboro. The group is for residents over 55 and visitors are asked to bring a dish for a potluck dinner held at the beginning of the meeting. After dinner, at about 6:45 p.m., attendees will begin dancing. Admission is $5 for the dancing.
• Clayton State University’s spring commencement ceremonies will be held at 9 a.m. and noon in the university’s Athletics and Fitness Center. The colleges of business, health and information and mathematical science will graduate about 240 students during the 9 a.m. ceremony where Gov. Nathan Deal will deliver the commencement address. The College of Arts and Sciences will graduate 275 students at the noon ceremony, where Atlanta City Councilman Kwanza Hall will be the featured speaker.
• Day Two of the Georgia Recreation and Parks Association’s State Track and Field Meet will be held from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. at Twelve Oaks Stadium, 1587 McDonough Road, Lovejoy. Admission is $5 per person.
• Forest Park’s Swing Into Spring Festival will be held from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. at Starr Park, which is located behind the city’s recreation center, 803 Forest Pkwy. The event is expected to include arts and crafts activities, food, games and entertainment.
• The Virginia Burton Gray Recreation Center will host its annual free Mother/Daughter Day of Love event from noon until 4 p.m. at the center, 1475 East Fayetteville Road, Riverdale.
• El Noa Noa Cuban Bar & Lounge, 6640 Tara Blvd., Jonesboro will begin its two-day Cinco de Mayo Weekend Party from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m. Attendees must be over 21 to attend the event.
• The Atlanta Balalaika Society will give a string music concert featuring songs from Russia, the Ukraine, Italy, Romania, Argentina and Spain at 8:15 p.m. at Clayton State University’s Spivey Hall, 2000 Clayton State Blvd., Morrow. Tickets cost $25 and can be purchased online at www.spiveyhall.org/.
• The Movie Under the Stars series, presented by Clayton County Parks and Recreation, will kickoff its 2013 series at 9 p.m. with a viewing of “Wreck It Ralph” at the Carl Rhodenizer Recreation Center, 3499 Rex Road, Rex. Admission is free.
• El Noa Noa Cuban Bar & Lounge, 6640 Tara Blvd., Jonesboro will continue its two-day Cinco de Mayo Weekend Party from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m. Attendees must be over 21 to attend the event.