Jonesboro public works employees checked out Lee Street Park Thursday. The city will host its second annual Jazz Under the Stars concert at the park tonight.
JONESBORO Among the jazz, the food and crafts, this weekend is shaping up to be a cornucopia of events for Clayton County.
Residents will have a variety of interests to indulge in as they bid good-bye to May and welcome June.
The city of Jonesboro will host its second annual jazz concert Friday, May 31. Quilts, placemats, napkins, pillows and other assorted items will go on sale Saturday to raise money for the Clayton County Humane Society. Farmers from across Georgia will put their products on display at the State Farmers Market.
A circus is coming to the county’s Headquarters Library Branch too.
The list of events slated to take place in the county this weekend includes:
• The Brookdale Dine and Dance Club will meet at 6 p.m. at the Jim Huie Recreation Center, 9045 Tara Blvd., Jonesboro. The group is for residents over 55 and visitors are asked to bring a dish for a potluck dinner held at the beginning of the meeting. After dinner, at about 6:45 p.m., attendees will begin dancing. Admission is $5 for the dancing.
• Jonesboro’s free Jazz Under the Stars concert will begin at 7 p.m. at Lee Street Park, 140 Smith St. The concert is part of the Atlanta Jazz Festival’s 31 Days of Jazz program. Performers will include Baatin and Top Secret, Xavier Scott and Jason Bitten.
• A night of gospel singing, featuring the “Diplomats,” will be held at Trinity Lakeside Church, 3057 Walt Stephens Road in Jonesboro, at 7 p.m.
• The Cat and Dog Quilt Sale fundraiser for the Clayton County Humane Society will be held from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Quilts and Fixins, 7986 North Main St. in Jonesboro.
• A free Georgia Farmers Showcase will be held at the State Farmer’s Market from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. The event will include fruit and vegetable tastings and educational booths for children. More than three dozen vendors from across Georgia are expected to participate. It is at 16 Forest Parkway in Forest Park.
• The Crochet Club will meet from 10 a.m. until noon at the Clayton County Library System’s Headquarters Branch, 865 Battle Creek Road in Jonesboro. Beginners are urged to bring Red Heart light-colored yarn and a size H crochet hook.
• A summer chess club for children will meet from 10 a.m. until noon at the Riverdale Library Branch, 420 Valley Hill Road. The first hour is for beginners only and the second hour is for advanced chess players. The group is for kids ages 8-18.
• Lew-E’s Educational Circus will visit the Headquarters Library Branch from 2 p.m. until 2:45 p.m. for a free “Circus Big Top” program for children.
• An Atlanta Braves Heritage Trivia Contest will be held from 2:30 p.m. until 4 p.m. in the youth services department at the Lovejoy Library Branch, 1721 McDonough Road. Attendees will be able to enjoy trivia, food and prizes.
— Senior Reporter Kathy Jefcoats contributed to this report