Clayton County children will be able to collect Halloween candy in a safe environment during several trunk or treat-style activities taking place around the county. (Staff Photo: Curt Yeomans)
JONESBORO — Clayton County parents will have plenty of options to take their children trick or treating if they feel uneasy about taking them door-to-door in their neighborhoods.
Today and tomorrow parents will see a half dozen trunk or treat and fall festival events organized by churches, cities and law enforcement agencies in the county.
These events will let children do their trick-or-treating in controlled environments where there is less exposure to hazards, said Morrow police Chief Chris Leighty. Morrow police department is one of the law enforcement agencies offering a trunk-or-treat-type event.
Leighty said it is not uncommon to see families do both the traditional trick-or-treating in their neighborhoods and the trunk-or-treat events offered in the community. However, he said parents are attracted to the fact that community-organized events because they offer a non-threatening environment.
“This provides an area where parents don’t have to worry about people out driving their cars on the roads, because the children will be in contained environments like parking lots,” said Leighty.
Here is a list of trunk-or-treat options available to families:
• First Baptist Church of Morrow, 1647 Lake Harbin Road, will host its annual Trunk or Treat Festival from 5:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. It will include trick or treating, games and refreshments for families.
• First Baptist Church of Riverdale, 6805 Church St., will host a fall festival for children at 6:30 p.m.
• The Morrow Police Department will host Safe Halloween 2013 from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. at Morrow City Hall’s Milton Daniel Park, 1500 Morrow Road. It will include trick or treating and games for families. Clayton State University student groups are partnering with the police department for this event.
• Community Bible Church will host a trunk or treat event at 5 p.m. at its Morrow Campus, 1550 Southlake Pkwy.
• The City of Riverdale will host “Candy-Mania” from 6 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. at the Riverdale Centre for the Arts, Business and Leisure, 7210 Church Street. Families will be able to trick or treat, play games, make crafts and enjoy entertainment. Admission is free.
• The Clayton County Sheriff’s Office will host a trunk or treat event from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. at the Harold R. Banke Justice Center, 9151 Tara Blvd. in Jonesboro.
• Sacred Praise United Methodist Church will host a city-wide trunk or treat event for Lovejoy residents from dusk until 9 p.m. at the Lovejoy Community Center, 11622 Hastings Bridge Road.