Man held in triple shooting

Anthony Douglas

Anthony Douglas

JONESBORO — A man indicted in July for allegedly stabbing to death a dog has been arrested and charged in an April shooting that killed two men and paralyzed a third.

Anthony Lee Douglas, 23, has been charged in the April 22 shooting that killed Keith Andre Davis and Charles Avent. A third man, Sheldon Thomas, was shot in the back and is paralyzed, according to the arrest warrant.

Police said the three men were “hanging out” behind the Texaco on Ga. 42 in Rex when they were confronted by Douglas. Douglas allegedly pulled a Glock .40-caliber handgun and demanded they empty their pockets.

Douglas allegedly took their cell phones and packs of cigarettes and then ordered them to lay on the ground, said police.

According to the warrant, Douglas told the men, “This is not a game, I will shoot you in the face. This is about being a snitch,” referring to Davis.

Police said Douglas shot Davis and Avent as they lay on the ground. Thomas got up to run and was shot in the back. Douglas fled the scene, said police, but returned within minutes to retrieve a pack of cigarettes from one of the men.

Douglas left the area again and eluded capture by Clayton County police until May when he was arrested in Atlanta. He was locked up in the Fulton County Jail on charges of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

He is being held without bond in the Clayton County Jail on charges of murder, aggravated assault and armed robbery.

Douglas was indicted in Clayton County in July for aggravated cruelty to animals, simple assault under the Family Violence Act, criminal trespass and simple assault.

Prosecutors said Douglas “got in the face” of his mother, Carolyn Forehand, and told her to get out of their house March 11. After he allegedly forced her out, he locked all the doors, according to the indictment.

The next day, prosecutors said he tied a plastic bag around the head and rear of a dog and stabbed it several times.

Detectives questioned Forehand about the triple shooting, according to the warrant, and she gave Douglas an alibi, telling police her son is “always” with her.

Her cell phone pinged towers in the area near the store at the time of the shooting, said police. She has not been charged in connection with the shooting.