Open Campus High School students taken to Southern Regional following car accident

Injuries believed to be minor

JONESBORO — Two Clayton County students were taken to Southern Regional Medical Center after a U-Haul-type box van hit the pupil's car as they were returning to the county's Open Campus High School in Jonesboro Wednesday afternoon.

Three more students were left shaken when they jumped down a hill and landed in a rose bush on Fayetteville Road to avoid the accident. The incident left the intersection of Fayetteville Road and Spring Street closed for about an hour.

School system officials said the car was heading southbound on Fayetteville and that the students were returning to class from their lunch break. The driver of the van was heading westbound on Spring Street, and school system police Officer Micah Brown said he either ran the stop sign or failed to yield to the car.

"The driver of the box van did not stop like he was supposed to and he T-boned the student's car," Brown said.

Brown said the students injuries are believed to be minor, but the pupil who was driving the car complained about neck and back pain was taken to the hospital as a precaution. He said the other student who was riding in the car was shaken up and was taken to the hospital as well as a precaution.

One of the students who jumped down the hill said they did not believe the passenger was wearing his seat belt.

"His head hit the windshield," said Brittany Roberson.

The Open Campus High School is located at the Eula Ponds Perry Center for Learning, which is at the corner of Lee and Spring streets.

Open Campus High School Principal Terry Young came out to the scene of the accident shortly after it occurred and stayed there until it was cleared and the roads were re-opened. Young said he was leaving from there to visit the students in the hospital.

Interim Superintendent Luvenia Jackson also came by the scene to see how the students were doing.

School system officials said the driver of the box van was also taken to the hospital but they were not sure what condition he was in.

It is unclear if anyone involved is facing any charges.

Check back with www.news-daily.com later today for additional details.